• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Positive Material Identification

Ggordon

I’m posting this to get a little street credit on the forum haha.

Hey Rudy,

Trying to attach a photo of the read out but my iPad is fighting me. What you have is a SS-410.

Cr 12.83%
Fe 87.07%
Standard deviation within exceptable limits +/- 2

410 stainless is a corrosion and heat resistant 12% chromium steel. It is the most widely used of the hardenable stainless steels. Heat treated 410 has mechanical properties comparable to the engineering alloy steel AISI 4130, coupled with the additional benefit of good corrosion resistance. 410 is highly resistant to atmospheric corrosion. Maximum corrosion resistance is obtained by hardening and polishing.

Thanks for the Timmies card,

Gordon

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks Gordon, appreciate you identifying the metal for me.

Thanks also for the elaboration of the SS-410 properties.

I have already made 6 tool holders for the Dickson QCTP and a base for a steady rest. All items are in the as is state. No real way to harden the material properly. But since I now know what it is, I might give it a go on some non-critical part.

Cheers, Rudy

Ggordon

Thanks Gordon, appreciate you identifying the metal for me.

Thanks also for the elaboration of the SS-410 properties.

I have already made 6 tool holders for the Dickson QCTP and a base for a steady rest. All items are in the as is state. No real way to harden the material properly. But since I now know what it is, I might give it a go on some non-critical part.

Cheers, Rudy
I have a heat treatment oven if you need it hardened. I am limited to about 9” though