• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

portable bandsaws

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a cordless Milwaukee M28 (the big one)..... bought it used from a plumber friend..... crazy useful but only in short bursts, not really applicable to mounting, but it is such the right tool a lot of the time.

I wouldn't mind a corded version.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I bought the King VKC-8377 corded portable bandsaw and the mounting base to allow use as a table top horizontal bandsaw. It also swivels the saw head to mitre cut without angling the vice. It has a variable blade speed preset so is easy to run at a speed suitable to the material being cut. I quite like it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Dedicated reloading bench in the rumpus room.

I'm going to start the torturous journey to convince SWAMBO that it might be time to put a small safe and a loading bench for some of my stuff upstairs from the vault & loading room downstairs with my decline in leg mobility. I couldn't move everything up, I would have to commandeer 1/3 the house....Chicken, what do you think of the chances of my success doing that knowing the "Boss"....slim to non I'm betting.

I wouldn't need much room in reality, just a 10 or 12 gun safe and a single bench 8ft x 2 , just enough for the stuff I use on a regular basis....just a "pipe dream in the making " so far.

thriller007

I love that idea of the swag table. Super simple. I went this way for attaching without tools but may change to that style. Sorry that the table is just wood in this metalworking forum but my selection of metal is not that diverse right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 18

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I'm going to start the torturous journey to convince SWAMBO that it might be time to put a small safe and a loading bench for some of my stuff upstairs from the vault & loading room downstairs with my decline in leg mobility. I couldn't move everything up, I would have to commandeer 1/3 the house....Chicken, what do you think of the chances of my success doing that knowing the "Boss"....slim to non I'm betting.
I think you’d have a better chance teaching my dispatch how to read a map or third grade math before convincing the commander in chief in your dream :D

Goldxxx

I have the Dewalt corded bandsaw and the Swag auxiliary table only. I just chuck it up in my mechanics vice when I need to use it. I’m limited to room on my work bench so it stays hanging up until I need it. Some of the best money I’ve spent. I’ve only gone through the original Dewalt blade. It cuts 3/4 plate steel pretty quick.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a WEN saw from Amazon. Right around $200. Very happy with it. Certainly beats a hacksaw!
Hi @Tomc938 , I'm curious about how your Wen saw is holding up. Amazon reviews are a bit mixed.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I recently bought one of those wen saw's, It seems like reasonable quality for the price

I have a job at the end of month where it is going to see some pretty heavy use cutting 5/8 anchors all day....I will see if it out preforms a grinder....and stays in one piece

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a job at the end of month

@phaxtris It might be a good idea to have a box (they come in 3s and 5s) of spare blades on site for your porta band. Anchors should be pretty tough, and you may dull or break a blade ans without some spares, it won't show well...

I like the Morse blades - not too expensive, and last a while.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
@phaxtris It might be a good idea to have a box (they come in 3s and 5s) of spare blades on site for your porta band. Anchors should be pretty tough, and you may dull or break a blade ans without some spares, it won't show well...

I like the Morse blades - not too expensive, and last a while.

Yea I have a pack of 3, I'm not overly worried, concrete anchors are only grade 5....edit, I should say these ones

it's just a trial (of the bandsaw), if it turns out to be crap I will just go back to standard zip disc, i just really don't like zip cutting anchors, seems like a waste of money (zip blades)

Last edited:

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Also good for cutting up frozen sockeye salmon. Important to clean up all the salmon sawdust, especially in August. Learned that the hard way.
I can imagine what this is like…

The SWAG table does look like a great addition!