• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Please school me on internal threading, tool holders, inserts, HSS etc.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I'm looking for someone to educate me on the finer points of internal threading. As a baseline, I've never internally thread anything.

I recently ordered some tool holders/carbide-inserts from Aliexpress, and the learning curve on the insert/holder naming conventions was pretty steep. When I looked at the inserts and holders that arrived, I'm still confused.

Some base questions I have are:

Left hand vs. Right Hand internal threading
  1. What side of the bore does the tool work? I've ready about inverting the cutter and running in reverse etc. but haven't put any of it into practice. My right-hand holder looks to cut on the left side of the bore, the left hand holder looks to cut on the right?
  2. Does your chuck always run in the normal (forward) rotation?
  3. Do you thread towards the headstock or away from it?
HSS vs. Carbide (laydown) insert
Pros/Cons?

ACME Threading
  1. Internally, assuming a larger bore (1.5" or bigger), single-point or tap?
  2. HSS vs. Carbide?

I know nothing -- all opinions welcome -- you can't hurt my feelings.

Bonus Question:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
My God, you want us to write a book?

I threaded few times internally. Once left hand (or maybe twice).

It is similar to external threading but you see less of what is going on.

Threading is easier and faster with DRO.

Regular threading I always go towards the chuck. I never needed to play with that.

For external threads I usually use an insert. For internal HSS. Mostly b/c most of my internal threads have been small.

With all non-standard "new" insert types as well as "faking standard" to create company proprietary inserts (like Kennametal at $10 per insert or throw your facemill at a wall) I am also confused. Why do not manufacturers put insert size on their tool? They *never* do that. They could put in something like "recommended size TNMG 322" or in metric format or both. On the flip side, why they do not even sometimes put size on a BOX the inserts are in - but "catalog" number. Trying to lock us into their insert brand?

I only own HSS taps and dies both for regular V threads as well as ACME. I assume tapping 1.5"+ with ACME tap would be an issue - I have large V thread taps in 2" and 2.5" so I guess it is possible. Measure the torque needed and post it here, better yet make a video. Also would be of interest how straight this all went.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@kevin.decelles : there are some good you tubes on the threading. This old Tony and Blondihacks and and Vintage Machinery have lots of help.

Left hand vs. Right Hand internal threading
  1. What side of the bore does the tool work? I've ready about inverting the cutter and running in reverse etc. but haven't put any of it into practice. My right-hand holder looks to cut on the left side of the bore, the left hand holder looks to cut on the right?
For the internal left hand threads you can cut them with the lathe running in reverse, forward feed and on the far side of the bore. Makes things easier to see. tool facing up

You can cut them on the nearside of the bore with the lathe running forward and the feed running in reverse, but you start the tool inside the bore and you cannot see what is happening as easy. Also you will typically make a few spring passes to finish the threads and it is easier when you can see how much is coming off. tool facing up
  1. Does your chuck always run in the normal (forward) rotation?
It doesn't have to - see above
  1. Do you thread towards the headstock or away from it?
You can go either way depending on your set up and if you are trying to thread a landing that doesn't go through the whole way

ACME Threading
  1. Internally, assuming a larger bore (1.5" or bigger), single-point or tap?
You will need to pretty much single point as a tap would be $$ . I have single point made bushings down to 9/16 ACME LH and single pointing 1" ACME is not too stressful once you are on your game
  1. HSS vs. Carbide?
I ground the HSS for the smaller bores and carbide insert for the larger bores. The ACME HSS ones that you can buy are typically pretty expensive if they are one piece construction - like ground into a 1/2" piece of HSS

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kevin,
I've gotten confused many of times also with left/right hand inserts, threading towards/away from headstock, internal/external threading and reverse spindle directions. What I did learn is that there is more than one combination possible to get the job done. Remember compound angle changes with a different setup.

I have both carbide inserts and still like and use hss occasionally also for threading. Small internal threading I do must be done with hss in boring bar holder. I have a "Mesa tool" carbide insert grooving and threading tool that allows you to do left/right hand and external/internal threading that I like very much.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The main reason for not threading towards headstock is the pucker factor when the tool is approaching a dead end. If you cant disengage or retract within the relief then you risk a collision. So alternately you start the tool in the relief groove, engage thread & go from HS to TS. But you need the tool orientated properly & fwd/rev selected properly. That's why the mention of screw mounted chuck vs camlock/pin style because it could unscrew because load is in loosey-lefty vs righty-tighty direction. if there is no dead end issue than conventional threading is from TS to HS. I think most lathes can change chuck direction independent of feedscrew direction but I may be wrong. In which case you have less options

1622784420701.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you are making a dedicated pair from scratch, meaning threaded shaft & nut, make the external thread shaft first & internal nut tread second. Why? Because you have the means to measure the external thread either with 3-wire method or thread mic or whatever else is appropriate to verify the pitch diameter & OD is within class target tolerance. Then machine the nut to fit y creeping up on depth. Reason is there isn't a great way to measure internal pitch diameter. Unless you're Tom Lipton & who probably has some tricked out indicator from a 1955 Skunkworks tool shop.

Even if you have a tap & intend to use it, there still could be case for machining the threads to 80% depth & let the tap do the finishing work because the load on it will be substantially less. Here I'm talking big TPI threads or tough materials where taps are spendy.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks Kevin for starting this thread. I searched for acme threads and found this one. As much as I feel ok about cutting internal threads, finding the cutter is proving to be a difficult or expensive, if I understand correctly. But I think I might have what I need already, with some coaching....that is where you all come in...;)

I want to cut 3/4" diameter or more internal acme threads.

Is this a start?

I have watched a couple of Tony's videos on it and in one, he just says he shaped an old end mill and then he brazed it into a piece of steel rod. I am good with everything except shaping of the cutter. Perhaps my sharpening equipment is what is holding me back....a misshapen green wheel . Tony does show a neat little guide. I made one up years ago that could probably be tweaked. Here is what I have to work with currently. Perhaps the next project is sharpening equipment, then the tool, then the job....

Here is my grinder used only for tools. The left is the standard wheel. The right is a green wheel. I have wondered about changing one out for a "white" wheel but then the question of straight, cupped, etc.

20211203_213807.jpg

If I was to be able to shape a profile, then these are a couple of boring bars. The larger is a 1/2" and the smaller, a 3/8". I would think that the 1/2" would be good for a 3/4" acme tool bit? Wondering about how much tool has to stick out but that info can come from the Machinist's handbook.

20211203_213927.jpg

I don't have an acme thread gauge. Is that where I am stumbling cause I cannot see how I can shape a tool based on only dimensions. But I suppose if I use the same tool bit for internal and external, then it will work but that sounds like a poor practice.

Suggestions?

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I should clarify...shaping a tool cutter is fine except that it would be so darn small...:confused:

So as I continue to search, I think I am coming up with it. Does means spending a bit, (see what I did there?..:D ) but I will be versatile then for other diameters.

Get the gauge Kevin refers to
and
and

That does limit me to larger diameters though. How small of a holder can you go to in order to cut a 3/4" thread? Would a 3/8" do it?

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just realized that the insert IC does not match the holder so need to adjust that

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ah...yes. Missed that.

I cannot seem to find a tool suitable for cutting the whole internal length, which I would like to be at least 1 1/2" to 2".

I think I am missing some simple aspect of this. It should not be this hard. Waiting for that Ahhh moment.. ;)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Please refer to this link:

AD945489-D5F1-4D2F-B2C4-17FCCB967F9A.jpeg

From that you can see that the cutting tool needs to stick out a minimum of 0.090” from the edge of the boring bar (0.08915 min thread depth).

With a max bore size of 0.5917” a bar whose diameter is 1/2” will be very tight (0.5917 - 0.5000 = 0.0917”, but the tool needs to stick out 0.090” leaving you only 1.7 thou to maneuver the bar).

So perhaps a custom boring bar of ~0.400” would make life easier. I suggest a long 7/16” grade 8 bolt. Drill a cross hole to accept 1/8” or 1/4” HSS round tooling. You’ll also need a way to retain the tool bit (a system like you have in the boring bars you have should work).

Shape the cutting tool according an acme gauge (you can use a piece of paper shaped as per machinery’s handbook [or any other favourite source] as a guide to check geometry with a magnifying glass). Use your grinder with the rest using a 14.5* grinding guide. If you leave the tool blank long, you have a way to hold it. Cut it to length (so it fits the width of the boring bar and sticks out the required amount) after you have shaped it.

I would recommend you use a regular 60* internal threading tool to remove the bulk of the material. Then finish your part off with the acme shape. Doing this imitates what a 3/4-6 acme tap does. If you don’t have a 60* internal threading bar, just make an approximate bit for the 7/16” boring bar you made above.

You could try and use the existing 3/8” boring bar. You may find with a bore 2” deep that it flexes too much. But as always, until you try, you don’t know. It may well work fine…

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As RobinHood suggests you can make a gauge to help shape your acme cutter or buy a gauge, much cheaper than buying special tools that may only be used once. Back before the days of internet and information over load i had to cut a few acme threads for a buddy, internal and external, my teacher was a well thumbed copy of How To Run A Lathe a great book Southbend published. It isn't hard once you get started.