• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Planing Southbend Lathe Bed

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe a bit repetitive but I thought kind of neat to see (and hear) the truing of lathe bed wear/distortion. The other interesting bit was in Description panel:

I purchased the planer shown in these videos in 1973. I recently began recording some of its work because unfortunately these machines are becoming rare and thought it important to document some of their work. My mind seems to be deteriorating to the extent that I no longer feel comfortable working on someone's antique equipment. It is far too easy to cause great damage quickly. My son has decided to take on some of this work - the machine shop has belonged to him for 5 years but he has another full-time job. If you would like planer work done please send an email to the address below and I will put you on a list of possible. Also, if you have a planer, I am trying to compile a list of them and their capabilities. The idea being to direct the people who want work done (the 1st list) to the people on this list. I have written a paper on planer use that can now be obtained on both Practical Machinist and hobby-machinist. Rees Acheson Alstead, NH, USA

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I would love to have my Heavy 10L done. But I suspect the actual cost is probably more than buying a new one from the far east.