• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Pimpin a drill press

Shop

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
On @Mcgyver 's accolades, I decided to watch it too.....

As most will know, I HAAATE YouTube......

This one was worth the watch. Lots of meat from beginning to end without a lot of time wasted or BS fillers. Very impressed. Might even subscribe. Back in the day, I would have tried to hire this kid.

Like McGyver, I WANT a lot of that!

My first challenge would be making a rack for my post. I have no crank. It's all manual brute strength table lift. And I have a lot on that table - in particular a fairly heavy cast iron x-y table. Good thing I'm big or my table would be on the floor by now. It's a huge full length floor post. Not happening. Fudge. That was one of the nicest improvements.

Oh well, still all-in-all worth the watch. THANK YOU!
I think I told you before that youtube has some good content. Marius' is one channel I follow not because every implementation is perfect and warranting an exact copy but rather he shows what is possible... prompting us to think how can I improve things.

His content is broad too and wide ranging, and he adds a lot of well thought out ideas. He made a cnc router tool changer that is pretty damn good, and simple things like bench dogs (among my favourite things in the world).

I'm copying his new tail stock die holder because it combined 3D printing and metal parts and yields a large diameter tool that is easy to use with arthritic hands. I printed his old version but haven't gotten to use it

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I told you before that youtube has some good content.

Ya you did. And I already know that. But it's not worth it for me to watch the crap to find the pearls.

I will sometimes watch based on a member's testimonial and very rarely if it catches my eye. But I'm not gunna go looking for the pearls hidden among all the crap.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Ya you did. And I already know that. But it's not worth it for me to watch the crap to find the pearls.

I will sometimes watch based on a member's testimonial and very rarely if it catches my eye. But I'm not gunna go looking for the pearls hidden among all the crap.

Lemme let you in on a secret... when you find a good video, check out other videos in that person's channel, just to assure that the one video wasn't a happy anomaly. If the channel turns out to be good subscribe.

Then to find more go to the channels tabs and select "channels" to find out if they subscribe to other youtubers. This list if present is usually a pretty good curated list of users with good content related to the interests of the original channel.

Subscribe to a couple. Watch some of their videos.

These actions train the otherwise profoundly ineffective youtube algorithm

1677787919996.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Lemme let you in on a secret... when you find a good video, check out other videos in that person's channel, just to assure that the one video wasn't a happy anomaly. If the channel turns out to be good subscribe.

So I have to invest my precious time to train youtube so I can learn to like it???

I dunno. The basic fact is that I'm quite happy without it. I don't need to teach it how to be likeable to me. I'd rather just live without it.

I don't watch TV, don't go to the movies, and don't enjoy spectator sports. I much prefer a hands-on personal exchange with someone willing to teach me. If I can't have that, my preference is a good text book, a manual, or even a good article.

That said, a good reference from someone I know and trust is often a good sign that it MIGHT be worth a look.

Engmaxx

(Michael)
I have learned a lot and continue to do so on Youtube. I do exactly what TorontoBuilder does and that has resulted in many, many subscribed channels. It isn't always about learning as it may be living vicariously through a creators interest(s) or life at the time. I am finding some creators now have backed off their content as the rigorous schedule Youtube imposes on them drains their creativity for the ultimate sake of income. Some get worse in time and others better. In the end, I like it better than regular television for the most part as at least it engages the mind rather than brainless entertainment. One other strong point is the international content that brings in ideas from people that you likely wouldn't otherwise have been exposed to so the diversity in what you learn is huge and profound not to mention comes in from all ages of creators.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One other strong point is the international content that brings in ideas from people that you likely wouldn't otherwise have been exposed to so the diversity in what you learn is huge and profound not to mention comes in from all ages of creators.

This is an excellent point. One that resonates with me. Please don't hesitate to share those that you really liked with me either on the main board or in a PM. The worst that can happen is that I bail part way in.