• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Supplies Picatinny cutting tools?

Supplies

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, .22 Leshiy2 @50 meters and .25 Impact @100 meters, this one I planning to make a stronger backbone for higher power to reach 200 and 300.
Wow! What sort of energy does it take to reach out 300 meters with any sort of accuracy?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Yes, .22 Leshiy2 @50 meters and .25 Impact @100 meters, this one I planning to make a stronger backbone for higher power to reach 200 and 300.
Nice. I've got an Air Arms .25 S510 Extra to keep the resident gophers and grackles in line at a distance.
The gun is way more accurate than this one eyed old man.
Had my eye on the Impact but couldn't talk myself into spending the coin required.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Wow! What sort of energy does it take to reach out 300 meters with any sort of accuracy?
Lots of the PCP type airguns shoot around 1000 feet per second.
If you put 2500 psi behind a pellet it can go a ways, just not in a very flat trajectory. Much more of a parabola than a standard rifle round.

bigHUN

The accuracy....need a pile of luck as well don't trust Utubers. At 100 meters a 1" group of 5 shots will not place you in competition, projecting it to further distance, at 200 meters need to hit consistently a 4" plate and 6" at 300 meters.
So, people who compete need a micron tolerance on the tool.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
If its not available commercially (at a sensible price), make one. I've made lots of special cutting tools, taps etc over the years; bit of O1 drill rod, propane/air and can of old oil is all you need. Perfection requires relieving, but a workable cutter can be made by milling/filing away all but the smallest of lands behind the cutting edge.
Is “drill rod” the same as a “drill blank”?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Drill rod is kind of a ambiguous name for round tool steel sold annealed so you can machine then harden it. So as to not be tarred and feathered for being inexact, I did say O1 which means the drill rod is really a length of annealed oil quenching tool steel. Typically sold in 3' lengths

A drill blank could be different types of steel, but I guess is most often HSS and is sold heat treated and jobber drill length,you can grind it but not machine it.

An assortment of drill rod for tool making is really handy to have about, otoh I can't ever recall having the need for a drill blank

Silver steel is the UK vernacular equivalent of drill rod, still should have the steel type specified, e.g. O1. I think there is also a German silver steel that is something different again.

I had no idea how inexpensive these were so agree with the other guys its not worth making a cutter for it, was just pointing out its the go to when you can't buy what you need (or do so for reasonable dollars)

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Probably, I guess depends on the drill blank and the spindle :) . I'd expect something different from a drill press vs a schuaublin lathe.

You can check them easily enough; tenths indicator on a height gauge, V block and surface plate. Sweep one end of the blank, then the other, rotate a bit, sweep again. I supposed technically it won't confirm its round (could have facets) but it should confirm its straight.

That should always be done, prove out any tooling before using it for a test so as to eliminate it as a source of error. I usually use ground dowel pins and find they are almost always less than a tenth out if anything (measurable anyway) but you still have to check. The time you don't check, Murphy would make sure you picked up a sightly crooked one.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Probably, I guess depends on the drill blank and the spindle :) . I'd expect something different from a drill press vs a schuaublin lathe.

You can check them easily enough; tenths indicator on a height gauge, V block and surface plate. Sweep one end of the blank, then the other, rotate a bit, sweep
I’d have to buy or borrow a height gauge, tenths indicator, v block and surface place :D

Is 12 thou runout decent for a drill press? I was expecting worse

gerritv

Gerrit
So, people who compete need a micron tolerance on the tool.
None of the Nato tolerances are anywhere close to microns. +0/-.025mm is hardly micron level precision. Not saying that sloppy work won't affect results.

At anything greater than 100m I am confident that you will have windage to deal with as well, unless shooting indoors.

Gerrit, who used to shoot .303 service rifle at up to 900yds with a Parker Hale peep hole sight. DCRA competitions at Connaught Range in Ottawa and Camp Borden (600 yd at Winona) The only scope we used was for spotting.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I’d have to buy or borrow a height gauge, tenths indicator, v block and surface place :D

Is 12 thou runout decent for a drill press? I was expecting worse

lol, ok, in that case a drill blank will be fine :) 12 thou is a heck of a lot of runout....but you measuring the chuck and spindle if you are indicating something held in it. I would start by popping the chuck out and indicating the internal taper....that will measure spindle runout

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I have a Diana Springer that will control HOSPS at 150. No thought of anything at 300. Heck I don't even use an HMR at that distance even though it might be able to.

Nice!! They sure ain't my pappy's Red Ryder bb gun!!

I think your daddy and I were brothers......

Nice. I've got an Air Arms .25 S510 Extra to keep the resident gophers and grackles in line at a distance.
The gun is way more accurate than this one eyed old man.

I can't shoot like I used to, but grackles are my #1 enemy here on the farm. Those devils destroy my crop than deer, turkey, ground hogs, and blue jay's combined! They dig up and eat corn seed right up to the 4 leaf stage destroying many many acres in the process. For me, it's not a sport. It's an economic necessity.

Lots of the PCP type airguns shoot around 1000 feet per second.
If you put 2500 psi behind a pellet it can go a ways, just not in a very flat trajectory. Much more of a parabola than a standard rifle round.

I don't have a PCP. Just a really nice Dianna 250 Springer. It's rated at 900 fps and requires a PAL. I just break 1000 with hunting pellets. I use it with a range finder cuz that parabola is a big one! Amazing how many times I can connect even with a huge hold over.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
None of the Nato tolerances are anywhere close to microns. +0/-.025mm is hardly micron level precision. Not saying that sloppy work won't affect results.

At anything greater than 100m I am confident that you will have windage to deal with as well, unless shooting indoors.

Gerrit, who used to shoot .303 service rifle at up to 900yds with a Parker Hale peep hole sight. DCRA competitions at Connaught Range in Ottawa and Camp Borden (600 yd at Winona) The only scope we used was for spotting.

I don't think that's what he meant Gerrit.

I used to shoot competition Benchrest. The difference between winning and losing was often measured in thousands of an inch at 100 yards. A 1/4 inch group at 300 yards/meters is just 1/8 either way. That's just 2 tenths over a 6 inch picatinny rail. About 4 microns. That isn't an issue though cuz it doesn't change. It's just a reference to what sort of precision is required to place.

I admire those who can shoot well with iron sights. But it's a different game vs Benchrest. There are all sorts of different kinds of competition. Each has its challenges. Benchrest (no matter what type of firearm) is won and lost by the size of your 5 shot or ten shot group at various ranges. Microns matter.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I can't shoot like I used to, but grackles are my #1 enemy here on the farm. Those devils destroy my crop than deer, turkey, ground hogs, and blue jay's combined! They dig up and eat corn seed right up to the 4 leaf stage destroying many many acres in the process. For me, it's not a sport. It's an economic necessity.
We found out the hard way this spring that grackles and blackbirds also clean out their nests when the hatchlings start to fledge. Rather than simply push the crap over the side, which would alert predators to the overhead nest, they grab a mitt full and head for the nearest body of water. This spring that body of water was our new above ground pool. Our yardsite is surrounded on all sides by a mature shelterbelt of spruce, maples, elms, poplars, lilac and caragana. A bird paradise. When I realized what was happening I began the purge. Shot 6 or 7 dozen grackles and blackbirds the first couple of days. This spring I swear I'm going to put up a blind up on the pool deck and spend my afternoons out there with a can of pellets and the hand pump.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

To your point, Tony Boyer is probably the best Benchrest competitor who ever lived. He used to say that the wind was his friend because the wind is what eliminated all the other folks he shot against. Tony's equipment was top notch with micron level precision, but so was everyone else's.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We found out the hard way this spring that grackles and blackbirds also clean out their nests when the hatchlings start to fledge. Rather than simply push the crap over the side, which would alert predators to the overhead nest, they grab a mitt full and head for the nearest body of water. This spring that body of water was our new above ground pool. Our yardsite is surrounded on all sides by a mature shelterbelt of spruce, maples, elms, poplars, lilac and caragana. A bird paradise. When I realized what was happening I began the purge. Shot 6 or 7 dozen grackles and blackbirds the first couple of days. This spring I swear I'm going to put up a blind up on the pool deck and spend my afternoons out there with a can of pellets and the hand pump.

Yup, I call them black bombers.

Best to broaden your coverage. They will fly hundreds of yards to find water to bomb.