• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Supplies Picatinny cutting tools?

Supplies

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I don't think that's what he meant Gerrit.

I used to shoot competition Benchrest. The difference between winning and losing was often measured in thousands of an inch at 100 yards. A 1/4 inch group at 300 yards/meters is just 1/8 either way. That's just 2 tenths over a 6 inch picatinny rail. About 4 microns. That isn't an issue though cuz it doesn't change. It's just a reference to what sort of precision is required to place.

I admire those who can shoot well with iron sights. But it's a different game vs Benchrest. There are all sorts of different kinds of competition. Each has its challenges. Benchrest (no matter what type of firearm) is won and lost by the size of your 5 shot or ten shot group at various ranges. Microns matter.
But you’re talking EVERYTHING is measured. Case length, jump to the lands, boolit seating depth, grain count, primer manufacturer, type of scope, breathing, diet, how many cups of coffee, sand composition of the bags, where the sand came from....:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But you’re talking EVERYTHING is measured. Case length, jump to the lands, boolit seating depth, grain count, primer manufacturer, type of scope, breathing, diet, how many cups of coffee, sand composition of the bags, where the sand came from....:D

Somebody has been learning! ;)

It's hard to believe that the sand in the bag and how hard it's packed matters, but I can attest to the fact that it really does.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Somebody has been learning! ;)

It's hard to believe that the sand in the bag and how hard it's packed matters, but I can attest to the fact that it really does.
It's funny you mention type of sand. My good customers company, Hutcheson Sand Mixes, has provided sand, from their quarry in Huntsville, to the past 5 Olympics and World Championship Beach Volleyball tournaments all over the world.
Who would have thought that?!!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Recycled ancient beaches, doesn't get any more natural that that. Quarried sand finds its way into quite a few applications. A lot of it past 2 decades have gone into hydraulic fracturing as a proppant for shale sector. The industry is very fussy about grain size, particle distribution, composition, strength etc.. I'm not a golfer but I've heard certain grades finds its way into lining bunkers. The glass industry is different specs again.

gerritv

Gerrit
I don't have my detailed shooting records from the 1960's but I know we used whatever surplus 303 ammo came out of the large bunkers in Borden. And that every shot fired was recorded, including windage, temperature and sun exposure. We were expected to tight group at 100 yds, to test us and the rifle. If rifle failed it was scrapped. (test bench used to validate). If rifle was ok and you couldn't group you went home.
After that open ranges with wind and whatever factors. Grouping taught first, then moving that group to bulls eye. Regardless of benchrest or prone, it is always about consistency. Groups are likely much tighter on benchrest (less human variation) but I vaguely recall being able to group well enough to blow out the centre of a bullseye (which pissed off the butt crew because that was much harder to patch) 2 sighting shots, the rest counted.

An entire summer of being paid to shoot, fed, watered and housed as a bonus. Prize money in ORA and DCRA competitions was our to keep. Cadet Hundred Roll a few times, missed going to Bisley by a few points :-(
Shooting is a skill that not everyone can learn. Lots of practice to gain consistency. And then there is judging the wind, not hard to miss even a large target at 900 yds if you guess wrong. Other than technique and closeness of grouping, benchrest and prone are not too different in my experience. Neither is trivial to learn to do well.

Attachments

• Scan-101120-0015 (Medium).jpg
    Scan-101120-0015 (Medium).jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Scan-101120-0016 (Medium).jpg
    Scan-101120-0016 (Medium).jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 11

bigHUN

I have learned that a 24/7 training and practising , with an endless home work in tuning and at least a 10-15 K shots per year can put your name in a first 20 on the list.
You learn how to read the wind and that increase your chances to get you in a first 10.
But to get your name in a first 5 ... for thaaat you need a lot of luck and praying as well.
And don't forget that I am talking about my airguns and not PR firearms.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But to get your name in a first 5 ... for thaaat you need a lot of luck and praying as well.

Sounds about right for Centerfire Benchrest too. I think the most I ever shot in a year was a thousand or so. To do more you need a range at home and dry firing doesn't cut it. I never got into the top 10. I sucked at reading the wind and even when I guessed right, I always seemed to choke on that last shot......

Those days are a distant memory for me now. I can't see worth crap, and I shake like a gravel tamper. I can still build rifles that will kill flies at 200 yards though!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think the most I ever shot in a year was a thousand or so. To do more you need a range at home and dry firing doesn't cut it.
And generous funds. I remember as a young teenager I would go to 22 range weekly and all I could ever afford each week was one box of 50 rounds of target match ammo, which cost $2.50 IIRC. I never have been better than an average shooter and I ain't improving with age. :(

bigHUN

I have one of the biggest gunclubs in North America 15 minutes from my house. A season - over summer months I am visiting 2-3 times a week, each time at least 200 shots, or a bit more :). This why I am shooting ariguns, the amo is much less cost per a thousand or per say 10K shots a year.
From trigger control to POI followup pretty much every shooting sport is the same, the only difference is that you play with a grain scale at home when tuning the amo - reloading, and I can do that tuning on my airgun on the spot. This is why I chose the FX Impact, every little screw is doing something ... a same or maybe even more tinkering vs powderburners. The distance is really not an issue, I put up a card with smaller rings ;) I just don't like the 50 it is too short I don't see my groups in a single hole.
This is why I am planning a jump from 100 to longer... but need to make a new upper guiding plate to mount a rail on it. Btw, got a 10" rail from amazon for really cheap.