• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Paul Made a Thing

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That shoulder will make it easier to set up. I'll try that on my next one.

One of the ones I bought a while back has that flat shoulder on it. I posted a photo earlier. I'll be honest and say that I prefer to let the follower spin if it wants to and I don't really like the idea of a grub screw riding back and forth on the flat either, and therefore I prefer a threaded cap.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That shoulder will make it easier to set up. I'll try that on my next one.

Another alternative would be to cut a groove instead of a flat and then put a nose on the grub screw to follow the groove.

Nice job for those lucky sods among us who have a shaper....... ;)

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My commercially made tap guide left lots to be desired... very loose fiting plunger rod and would not work with my smallest taps as it had no center on those little taps that only had a male centre.

So here is what I made a while back.
I think V2 would be smaller but similar design. 20220415_094826.jpg 20220415_094721.jpg 20220415_094710.jpg

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
My commercially made tap guide left lots to be desired... very loose fiting plunger rod and would not work with my smallest taps as it had no center on those little taps that only had a male centre.

So here is what I made a while back.
I think V2 would be smaller but similar design.
I like the plug screw instead of a cap! What does the knurled section do for you? I mean, I'm all in favour of racing stripes...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think the knurling is cool. My commercial one has the knurling too. But the fit is horrible. It wobbles around way too much. As I said earlier, it has a point on one end and a recess on the other. I'd like to make a copy but improve it with a better fit, longer stroke and adjustable compression. I'd also make several different sizes.

If you look at the one with the milled flat, you can see the damage the grub screw does - it has NEVER been tightened. But that's what happens when it slides against a loose retainer.
20220415_140657.jpg

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How will you harden the pointy end?

This is another good point! Mine is not hardened and has already worn a bit.

Not sure it really matters though. It's easy to recut the two ends.

Saying that makes me realize my first order of business ought to be to make a replacement follower for the existing body that isn't so sloppy.

About the knurl - it's nice to hold onto the body of the follower while you put it into the chuck or whatever you plan to use it in. Much better than holding oily polished steel.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I think the knurling is cool. My commercial one has the knurling too. But the fit is horrible. It wobbles around way too much. As I said earlier, it has a point on one end and a recess on the other. I'd like to make a copy but improve it with a better fit, longer stroke and adjustable compression. I'd also make several different sizes.

If you look at the one with the milled flat, you can see the damage the grub screw does - it has NEVER been tightened. But that's what happens when it slides against a loose retainer.
View attachment 23078

@Susquatch, that's odd grub screw damage really shouldn't gouge up the milled flat after the part has been hardened?

I have a similar mini tap guide manufactured by Fisher in Hawthorne, California, used it over a number of years mostly with smaller taps and it's a tight smooth fit, spot on every time.

KBC Tools & Machinery carry them part number 1-811-130 for $26.85, Just saying!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig well done, what size spring did you use or is it which one will you settle with? Did you enjoy doing the project? How will you harden the pointy end?

Dusty's not just another pretty face you know. LOL

Was a simple/fun project. Involved some turning, boring, milling, drilling, tapping.

I haven't hardened the point but I suppose I could try using a map gas torch.

As for the spring....

Springs.JPG

PA sells an assortment spring kit. I just used something that fit the follower body.

Craig

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Craig said, 'PA sells an assortment spring kit. I just used something that fit the follower body.'

Thanks Craig, need to check them out next time I'm in their store (Regna).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
that's odd grub screw damage really shouldn't gouge up the milled flat after the part has been hardened?

Hardened? Did I say it was hardened? Mine is just a cheap Amazon follower. I seriously doubt it is hardened.

I like the idea of milling or broaching a groove in it with a nose on the grub screw to fit the groove.