• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Parts washer- new to me

robert million

Premium Member
my parts washer sits on a 25 gallon barrel I line the barrel with an industrial garbage bag put 3 inches of water in the bottom of the barrel which is below the pump and fill it with 15 gallons of varsol the particulate settles in the water I have used this for 40 years still original pump

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm just about to change my solvent in my parts tank, and the spray nine looks promising. I don't like varsol odors, even with the low volatility stuff. But I've used varsol for 40+ years, but never too old to change.....

I have 30 gallons of Varsol sitting in 10 gallon pails waiting for their turn in my parts washer. Like you, I've used it since I was a boy. I too am willing to change but only on the basis of solid evidence. Varsol works and works really well. The odours don't bother me - prolly cuz I used to strip the floors with Varsol for my mom when I was a kid. The jury is still out on the other stuff.

Anybody ever do AB comparisons with different types of oil, grease, waxes, varnish, paint, etc

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've always used varsol in my parts washer and have been afraid of loosing cleaning performance with other non solvent based fields. I know when I had to replace my washer pump, many of the products stated that they were only to be used with non spent based fluids. The positive comments about the alternative fluids make me think maybe I need to try it someday.

Aliva

Super User
When I was still working, we had a parts washer from State. They used a product called Current Issue. Very easy on the hands, no odours , nonflammable, and it did a very good job on grease, and oils.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've always used varsol in my parts washer and have been afraid of loosing cleaning performance with other non solvent based fields. I know when I had to replace my washer pump, many of the products stated that they were only to be used with non spent based fluids. The positive comments about the alternative fluids make me think maybe I need to try it someday.
Sorry I missed the auto correct change...that was supposed to say "only to be used with NON SOLVENT..."

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
here is a parts list I did for the oil filter adapter basically did my own version of this parts washer mods
amazon parts list

Very Cool! I like it! I am going to make something similar. I'm a farmer and a big fan of 5 gallon pails. I like the idea of contained goop.

Also REALLY IMPRESSED with your shared amazon list! I assume you made a wish list for your parts washer and shared that as a link.....?

It linked to the US version of Amazon though. I don't know if that's what you use or if you intended it that way. Most of us here use Amazon.ca in Canada. Shipping is WAY FASTER.

Very Cool! I like it! I am going to make something similar. I'm a farmer and a big fan of 5 gallon pails. I like the idea of contained goop.

Also REALLY IMPRESSED with your shared amazon list! I assume you made a wish list for your parts washer and shared that as a link.....?

It linked to the US version of Amazon though. I don't know if that's what you use or if you intended it that way. Most of us here use Amazon.ca in Canada. Shipping is WAY FASTER.
I love forums and I contribute what I can. I am here to learn and share knowledge.

I didn’t do the bucket mod. But I do like the idea of all the junk sitting to be bottom. Maybe even use a pickup hose on a Floating buoy so it sucks the cleaner fluid from the top