• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop Parts from Busy Bee

Shop
You have to understand the mindset of some business owners. Actual conversation I had with the CEO of a company that does $75m in sales a year:

CEO: And here‘s our Net Promoter Score this month, 80%

Me: What’s a Net Promoter Score?

CEO: We call up the buyers at our ten largest customers, and ask them if they would recommend us as a supplier.

Me: And 2 said no?

CEO: They were non-commital.

Me: Do you also call customers who no longer deal with you and ask why they stopped buying your products?

CEO: <silence>
It's funny how many companies think that customer service cuts into profits.... :rolleyes:

It's funny how many companies think that customer service cuts into profits.... :rolleyes:
I sometimes ask myself can we expect any better when dealing with companies that are merely importers of cheap commodity goods that they have at best very minimal quality control over?

On average these importer only place bulk orders with their exporters on a quarterly basis. The exporters typically treat these orders as fungible items that can be sources from any number of a dozen or more machine manufacturers with generally low standards, who all source their castings from the same group of crappy foundries with the lowest standards on earth.

Keep your expectations low is a good motto

I sometimes ask myself can we expect any better when dealing with companies that are merely importers of cheap commodity goods that they have at best very minimal quality control over?
As consumers, yes, I do believe that we be should be able to expect more. Unfortunately, until the majority of people can be convinced that it makes sense to buy quality, serviceable goods, and buy them for the long haul, the Walmart "sell them another POS again next week" lifestyle will continue. :mad:

For a contrasting view of customer focus,
Tatra boots made in Canada. Only slightly more expensive but near the end he shows what the difference is inside compareed to boots made for profit only. And they do QC on every boot. Also a great explanation of the synergy between a machne shop and manufacturing.

Dunnville, Ontario

Keep your expectations low is a good motto

agreed it would make you happier, but I'm not willing to.

I bought once from them, ages ago. A set of MT3 collets. They were all bad, but the worst had 3.5 thou runout. Granted, other than wasted time and gas it was a no hassle return which was good, but 3.5 runout on a collet? I haven't darkened the doorstep since.

Last edited:
As consumers, yes, I do believe that we be should be able to expect more. Unfortunately, until the majority of people can be convinced that it makes sense to buy quality, serviceable goods, and buy them for the long haul, the Walmart "sell them another POS again next week" lifestyle will continue. :mad:
I'm really saying it comes own to where you shop. Shop at BB and get the product and service we've all come to expect because no amount of publicity or boycott is going to change that, or better yet dont shop there and look for new suppliers where the service it better and the supplier's purchasing power is greater leading to better products.

I'm not here to tout any particular suppliers or anything, but I have a goto supplier for a reason. They have deep roots in China and it has allowed them to purchase products the usual products that have a slightly better quality and they both bricks and mortar and online stores, plus they provide great customer service.

agreed it would make you happier, but I'm not willing to.

I bought once from them, ages ago. A set of MT3 collets. They were all bad, but the worst had 3.5 thou runout. Granted, other than wasted time and gas it was a no hassle return which was good, but 3.5 runout on a collet? I've never darkened the doorstep since.
My equivalent to your story is Tim Horton's coffee. IMO it sucks azz. I used to live right next door to a timmies but I bought an espresso maker and the only time I frequent a tims is when I am on the road and need caffeine to stave off falling asleep at the wheel and driving into a bridge abutment.

I don't shop at BB unless it is urgent, like when I sold my wood lathe and needed a drive spur to include with it... I had very low expectations and I wouldn't be the sucker using the part.

Everything I've done in my machine tool acquisitions and educational process has been done with the end goal of being able to make as many tools as possible so I never have to buy crap, especially collets with terrible run out. I'd sooner splurge for good used quality than buy new tools from China or India

For a contrasting view of customer focus,
Tatra boots made in Canada. Only slightly more expensive but near the end he shows what the difference is inside compareed to boots made for profit only. And they do QC on every boot. Also a great explanation of the synergy between a machne shop and manufacturing.

Dunnville, Ontario
I love leatherworking, I almost bought a leather goods factory and worked at it for months to learn the business and always wanted to make my own boots. I am working on lasts to be able to make my own glerups style felt slippers.

It's a shame that they dont make hiking boots too...

I love leatherworking, I almost bought a leather goods factory and worked at it for months to learn the business and always wanted to make my own boots. I am working on lasts to be able to make my own glerups style felt slippers.

It's a shame that they dont make hiking boots too...
They make boots for the Canadian Army so maybe that meets the criteria of hiking boots? :)

I'm still in limbo on my Grizzly Taper Attachment, so I'm more than a little annoyed at them right now.

One of my biggest beefs with Grizzly is that they always use UPS. I have NOT had @TorontoBuilder's luck. I ALWAYS get duties and taxes as well as a brokerage fee. Even on just a few light bulbs. Even Canada Post would simply forward them with no border costs.

That said, they do stock parts others do not.
I'd better not get started on my hatred for United Parcel Smashers. I have had a fight with them over a PTO driveline and now Rockauto order. They literally lie to you on the phone and the lie can change twice a day.

Back