• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop Parts from Busy Bee

Shop

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Back in April i contacted BB looking for a part for my lathe, CX706, the bushing that is used on the change gears. Had a couple of emails with them then crickets. Sent a couple of emails asking for updates, crickets. A week ago i got a phone call, hmm april to july, asking if i still needed the part, girl said someone would contact me, over a week later i get a call asking again if i still wanted the part, she transfered me to order desk and a few minutes later order is done. Nice people to talk with but holy crap 3 months to get some 6 dollar parts.
Rant over.

I emailed Busy Bee to inquire about new compound feed and cross feed nuts. for my B-043 lathe. I was told that they had the compound nuts in stock but I had to buy the cross feed shaft with the nut as it was not available by itself even though it was listed in the parts breakdown as a separate part. They had it in stock as well.
I ordered two compound feed nuts and was going to make a new cross feed nut.
A few weeks passed and I decided to order the shaft and nut assembly. I emailed them again and inquired as to why the nut was listed but not available. The person responded that it was available and they had them in stock. I ordered two as for $40 each If I made them I would be working for less than minimum wage.

Back in April i contacted BB looking for a part for my lathe, CX706, the bushing that is used on the change gears. Had a couple of emails with them then crickets. Sent a couple of emails asking for updates, crickets. A week ago i got a phone call, hmm april to july, asking if i still needed the part, girl said someone would contact me, over a week later i get a call asking again if i still wanted the part, she transfered me to order desk and a few minutes later order is done. Nice people to talk with but holy crap 3 months to get some 6 dollar parts.
Rant over.
Yes I've had mostly trouble ordering parts from Busybee but last couple of transactions were actually quite successful and easy.

I gave up on BB altogether. Grizzly stuff tends to be interchangeable and Grizzly actually answers inquiries.
I too have gone over to grizzly.

They happened to have several parts I needed for my colchester chipmaster lathe (D1-3 spindle cam related parts and 4.5 to 3 MT bushing) and only one part turned out not to fit correctly. Service was lightning fast by comparison. ordering was a breeze...

How does the cost (delivered) of parts from Grizzly compare BB?

I know on stuff I've ordered from the states it works out about the same by the time you add in all the taxes and fees

How does the cost (delivered) of parts from Grizzly compare BB?

I know on stuff I've ordered from the states it works out about the same by the time you add in all the taxes and fees
My last order a couple of months ago was 19.99 USD to ship. Usually I pay $20 CAD for flat rate box shipping anywhere in Canada with tracking. So not too dissimilar.

I looked at my UPS emails and I dont see that there was any additional brokerage fee either.

Plus they send appreciation like this even if it is token gesture

1722013308441.webp

I'm still in limbo on my Grizzly Taper Attachment, so I'm more than a little annoyed at them right now.

One of my biggest beefs with Grizzly is that they always use UPS. I have NOT had @TorontoBuilder's luck. I ALWAYS get duties and taxes as well as a brokerage fee. Even on just a few light bulbs. Even Canada Post would simply forward them with no border costs.

That said, they do stock parts others do not.

I'm still in limbo on my Grizzly Taper Attachment, so I'm more than a little annoyed at them right now.

One of my biggest beefs with Grizzly is that they always use UPS. I have NOT had @TorontoBuilder's luck. I ALWAYS get duties and taxes as well as a brokerage fee. Even on just a few light bulbs. Even Canada Post would simply forward them with no border costs.

That said, they do stock parts others do not.
Yes UPS brokerage fees are a rip off on low value shipments, and most people can't act as their own broker due to distance from offices.

I would be furious over the Taper tool episode. Admittedly I'm surprised you ordered one when you were getting a DRO and seem competent enough to set up tapers without a turning tool.

That said, I still believe that they're better than BB.

Oh and If I have a choice I'll shop accusize tools

Busy Bee lost me as a customer after ignoring me for 4 months for a blatant switch on a boring head with 0 response for those 4 months. And since promplty replying to a request for yet more info, crickets. Don't buy the 2" 3/8 hole boringhead expecting it to be in a wooden box!
I will switch to Accusize or expand my AliExpress purchasing. It all comes from China anyway. I get better response times and support from them.

This after 3 months, the order # was in the heading of my original and followup email. A further 22 days have expired since my prompt reply.
To proceed further, kindly provide me with either the order number associated with your purchase or the registered phone number on the account. This will enable me to swiftly retrieve the necessary details for your recent order.
Your prompt response is greatly appreciated.

Admittedly I'm surprised you ordered one when you were getting a DRO and seem competent enough to set up tapers without a turning tool.

I guess you missed my thread on this. I mostly bought it to avoid missing out. I really don't need it. I can and have turned every taper I have ever needed and wouldn't really miss not having it.

On the flip side, it's only matter of time before it isn't available any more. So I really got it so I have it, not cuz I need it. Let's face it, nobody really buys a boat cuz they need it. They buy it cuz they want it.

I know that sounds kinda lame, but you have seen my lathe and you must know how much pride I have in it. It's my baby.

Even lamer, this way my wife can sell it totally complete with all the options after she pushes in the dirt.

I guess you missed my thread on this. I mostly bought it to avoid missing out. I really don't need it. I can and have turned every taper I have ever needed and wouldn't really miss not having it.

On the flip side, it's only matter of time before it isn't available any more. So I really got it so I have it, not cuz I need it. Let's face it, nobody really buys a boat cuz they need it. They buy it cuz they want it.

I know that sounds kinda lame, but you have seen my lathe and you must know how much pride I have in it. It's my baby.

Even lamer, this way my wife can sell it totally complete with all the options after she pushes in the dirt.
Yes I only caught sight of your thread on it last night. I didn't want to read too much about your suffering though so only gave it a cursory glance.

For the same reason I passed on $500 for the taper turning attachment for my chipmaster. I already gutted the variator on my lathe so there is no sense in trying to maintain the idea of all original lathe and accessories.

Either that or I am too poor and cheap.

A laughable update, it is as if they are reading this forum. The offer is to give my money back if the tool is unused! They are going to fix the pic on the web site so there is that win for the next victim.
Seriously who would buy something and wait 4 months to use it???? Lesson learned, on to another seller.

A laughable update, it is as if they are reading this forum. The offer is to give my money back if the tool is unused! They are going to fix the pic on the web site so there is that win for the next victim.
Seriously who would buy something and wait 4 months to use it???? Lesson learned, on to another seller.

Don't underestimate the possibility that they actually are following this thread......

I am supposed to get the parts next week as they are in stock. We will see. The bushing has a small key on the outside of the bushing, that's why i didn't just make it. Would have been an ideal part to 3d print i think. Alas no 3d printer nor is one in the works. Sounds to computery for my very limited skills. I can't even get my phone to talk to my computer to post pics, to my son 45 minutes to send a pic for me this winter. I was very proud of #2 son, he used a lot of the words i taught him,:D properly.

I agree but I don't actually care anymore. I try my best to buy from Canadian sources but I have my limits.

I don't care either. In fact, I think it's good that these outfits know what we are saying about them. We are their customers and they should listen to us. I know that I would if I were them.

You have to understand the mindset of some business owners. Actual conversation I had with the CEO of a company that does $75m in sales a year:

CEO: And here‘s our Net Promoter Score this month, 80%

Me: What’s a Net Promoter Score?

CEO: We call up the buyers at our ten largest customers, and ask them if they would recommend us as a supplier.

Me: And 2 said no?

CEO: They were non-commital.

Me: Do you also call customers who no longer deal with you and ask why they stopped buying your products?

CEO: <silence>

I have also emailed B B on tooling/parts for my CT918 aka 9x20 aka G4000 lathe...
same thing...next to no responses...
Went to Grizzly's site...figured out what I needed in the BOM for the G4000 and sent a list...
within maybe 2 days I got a response, with pricing and a quotation # so anyone else could track things for me.
I had the order shipped to Oroville WA, to a brokerage place called Shipping Post of Oroville. I think it cost me 10 or 12 bucks.
Gave the same answer both times going across the border..." I'm going to pick up repair parts for a hobby size metal lathe "
Both border guards to n fro wished us a good day, and didn't even ask to see the package...
And exactly as TB's experience...I got a nice thankyou follow up email...
Will I buy from Grizzly again? Most likely when I'm stumped and need parts for the new lathe...if they carry anything for that antique...

Back