• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Parting

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On todays episode of How Its Made - Aluminum Slinky's!

Just kidding, I had to part off some 1.5" diameter 6061 so put in my longer reach, 1/8" wide, T-blade. I had a particularly nice curl going so thought I'd share a picture. Hand fed, occasional drip of fluid (how it finally broke off because I paused a bit & interrupted the feed). I think its well over a meter unfolded.

Attachments

• IMG_4581_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4581_edited-1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4582_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4582_edited-1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4583_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4583_edited-1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4584_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4584_edited-1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 18

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I've been doing some parting on the same stuff and definitely can't get anything close to that...always gets gummed up on the tool when I get deep regardless of feeds/speeds lubrication or anything. I find I need to part in steps going left/right to keep the width wide enough to clear the material. I've been using uncoated carbide cutoff inserts.

I was drilling a hole today and got this monster chip. Wanted to share for your entertainment. And because a curly chip always makes me laugh
Love curly chips too, but.....

As a reminder for newbies (and maybe some not so newbies).

Dangerous as hell, they are extremely sharp, if they snag anything they become exceptional strong and tend to take it with them (and remove it) clothing and more scary body parts. These are likely the most under estimated and dangerous item in any machine shop as they look so pretty.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Things only another metal hobbyist could appreciate! LOL.

Several years ago I was turning down some brass and I had several of these beautiful coils of brass come off. I was a bit helpful in making sure they didn't bust up right away and got several 6ft+ strands of them. I have had one coil hanging on my shop wall for years as "decoration".

As pointed out chips and coils can be dangerous. I believe I was using my eccentric engineering diamond tool holder when I got these long brass coils. One of the downsides of the diamond tool holder is that it has no chip breaker and the coils that come off it can be particularly hazardous. 16507375757649075091312386676407.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
Dad worked at the dnd dockyard in Victoria and said they use to see who could send their cuttings the furthest down the shop he also said that you always knew when it was Friday by smelling turkey that was cooking in the heat treatment shop.

Things only another metal hobbyist could appreciate! LOL.

Several years ago I was turning down some brass and I had several of these beautiful coils of brass come off. I was a bit helpful in making sure they didn't bust up right away and got several 6ft+ strands of them. I have had one coil hanging on my shop wall for years as "decoration".

As pointed out chips and coils can be dangerous. I believe I was using my eccentric engineering diamond tool holder when I got these long brass coils. One of the downsides of the diamond tool holder is that it has no chip breaker and the coils that come off it can be particularly hazardous.View attachment 23403
Yeah I'd collect something like that regardless of the risk (stupidly).

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was turning some kind of mystery plastic material for a guy, a part on a commercial fish feeder, it was dangerous stuff. Long stringy coils of extremely strong swarf, had to stop a lot and cut the coils off to protect my delicate fingers.