• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Parallel storage

Tool

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Parallels:
Mine are in the blow moulded box, but with a twist: I cut the lid off.
Great tip. Thanks.
They are in a drawer anyhow- so no need to have the cover. I’m cutting mine off too.

Edge finder:
Get one of these. It will be your last.
Sasq told me i needed one of these long ago because there are a big improvement over a mechanical edge finder. So i got an AliExp cheapo. It was a POC. Thankfully Amazon makes returns easy. It went back. I then got the Accusize one that Susq identified (link supplied) above. Yes expensive but worth every penny. (Sorry- i should have said ‘worth every nickel’ since we no longer have pennies).

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Either one is very good and comes with good customer service.

KBC Borite vs Accusize
0.0005 vs 0.0002 TIR
.2” cylinder vs 0.4” ball
1/2” shaft vs 3/4”
$57 vs $69

- I like the spring loaded ball on the Accusize since it will bounce back if you go a bit too far (not sure about the Borite).
- I most often have a 3/4” collet in the mill, so that is a plus.
- Amazon and Accusize give a 10% discount. Amazon via a promo code and Accusize via our Forum discount. (KBC sometimes has a store wide sale).
- Amazon prime gives me free delivery :)

Kinda like F150 vs Chevy vs Ram - all are good but some people prefer one over the other.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I prefer the Borite. Less expensive & a more practical body diameter.

KBC Shipping would eat the cost difference.

The Borite is very similar to the Fowler I inherited. But the Fowler is more expensive.

Fowler 54-575-600 Electronic Edge Finder with Cylindrical Tip, 0.200" Stylus, 1/2" Shank https://a.co/d/0hlBbWvS

If you are using smaller ER collets or a drill chuck, I agree that 1/2 is a better body diameter than 3/4. I have an extra 3/4" R8 Collet I use with the Accusize so for me the body size doesn't matter.

But I like the spring loaded ball tip better.

Edit - didn't see @CWret 's post till I posted mine. He makes a good point about the discount.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gotta be careful to not lose the tree in the forest. The big advantage for ALL Electronic Edgefinders is the visual and audible edge detection to excellent resolution.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here's Suburban tool's take on edge finders. For what its worth.

Yup, "for what it's worth"...... I watched enough to know I don't agree with him. He is human just like the rest of us and just as likely to be biased or opinionated. The difference is that we can't debate with him like we can with a member.

I think he is assuming that you can't spin the electronic finders...... You certainly don't have to, but why not? The tips are hardened. I spin mine when I think I need to. But I normally don't. Another advantage to the electronic ones if you ask me.