• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Pao Chuan 14x32 lathe Kamloops BC $2000

Lincoln20XX

So I've been keeping my eye open for a lathe for a while, and this seems to fit my needs and budget.

This one has a 110v motor, so no more than 1.5kW, more likely 1.1kW or less.

Is there anything specific I should look for if I'm going to check it out? I presume based on the year, where it's coming from, and the above comments that it's likely built like a tank and barring heavy abuse it is likely to be a reasonably reliable machine?

EDIT: and if I've got 3p power and a VFD kicking around, would it make sense for me to swap out the motor for something larger? It seems like lathes in this size tend to be offered in up to 2kW size - would that be a good motor size to shoot for? I presume that anything much larger than that is not going to be of any benefit.

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
info at

solid machines, only reason I’m not driving to Kamloops is I’m set on getting a gearhead machine.

check for the usual stuff, bed wear, slop in lead screws, missing bits, etc.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Looking around I don't see any references to a "14' x 36 machine, 12 x 36 yes but not 14 x 36.
Either way it appears to have all the right stuff and looks like a good deal.
@Lincoln20XX - good luck, let us know how it goes.

And welcome to the forum.

Lincoln20XX

That's excellent info, thanks very much!

It looks like I've got quite a bit of learning to do - reading on gearhead vs belt driven lathes makes me think that for my use case I might be better off going with a geared system - I expect to be threading 304/316 stainless parts of 1/4" to 2" on a somewhat regular basis, and on first pass, it seems like a lower power belt driven lathe might not be the most correct tool for that job.

I'll hit the books and report back if I go check out the lathe and/or pick it up.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

It looks like I've got quite a bit of learning to do - reading on gearhead vs belt driven lathes makes me think that for my use case I might be better off going with a geared system - I expect to be threading 304/316 stainless parts of 1/4" to 2" on a somewhat regular basis, and on first pass, it seems like a lower power belt driven lathe might not be the most correct tool for that job.

I'll hit the books and report back if I go check out the lathe and/or pick it up.
I wouldn't be worried about a bt driven lathe. Biggest issue in my mind is belt changes and I don't think it's all that bad. They are also a great candidate for a vfd conversion.

However @whydontu probably has good reasons on wanting a gear driven lathe only....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member

The PC-36 lathe will do just fine for threading 304/316, provided you’re not trying to cut a 1“ UNC in two passes. I ran a valve machining shop for 20 years, did a lot of 304/316 work on 14x40 and smaller machines.

My current machining is mostly aluminum, and the B2227L lathe I have has geared spindle so it’s easy to change spindle speeds. I think the PC-36 style lathe has a very simple belt system, so it’s likely wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for me. I’m holding out for the Holy Grail of a small lathe with geared spindle, separate threading and feed drive shafts, and quick-change gearbox. Grizzly used to bring in a 12x24 cut-down version of the common 12x36, but whenever I see one I’m too slow on the draw and someone else buys it.

Finhead

The PC-36 lathe will do just fine for threading 304/316, provided you’re not trying to cut a 1“ UNC in two passes. I ran a valve machining shop for 20 years, did a lot of 304/316 work on 14x40 and smaller machines.

My current machining is mostly aluminum, and the B2227L lathe I have has geared spindle so it’s easy to change spindle speeds. I think the PC-36 style lathe has a very simple belt system, so it’s likely wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for me. I’m holding out for the Holy Grail of a small lathe with geared spindle, separate threading and feed drive shafts, and quick-change gearbox. Grizzly used to bring in a 12x24 cut-down version of the common 12x36, but whenever I see one I’m too slow on the draw and someone else buys it.

Wouldn't the Craftex CX709 be approx the same as the Grizzly your referring to? I almost went with that one last month but opted for the CX707 instead, I also have a B2227L for the last 15 years great little lathe.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Wouldn't the Craftex CX709 be approx the same as the Grizzly your referring to? I almost went with that one last month but opted for the CX707 instead, I also have a B2227L for the last 15 years great little lathe.
The Grizzly G4002 (discontinued) was a short bed version of the G4003, similar to the BB CX707 12”x36” but only 24” bed. Almost the same length as the B2227L, but twice the weight. And has a cam lock spindle with full geared spindle, geared feeds, power cross feed. All the goodies.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The Grizzly G4002 (discontinued) was a short bed version of the G4003, similar to the BB CX707 12”x36” but only 24” bed. Almost the same length as the B2227L, but twice the weight. And has a cam lock spindle with full geared spindle, geared feeds, power cross feed. All the goodies.

I see that the G4002 has a top spindle speed of only 1400rpm. Is that enough for your aluminum work?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

They make that same lathe cut down even further to 12x16 and that is my holy grail, because I could actually fit it in my house with my other home shop essentials.

I've never seen one for sale in Canada though