• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

PA Forges?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The forge looks like it was made in a garage. Price is a joke - outrageous. But I guess some people are willing to spend that kind of money on a cheap regulator from China available at Home Dept, on some 12ga box and fire bricks. The burners themselves are probably the most expensive item through the type (no blower) is easily made at home.

You can spend 1/3 (or less) and get one off eBay. See https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=forge&_sacat=0

For about $1000 CAD plus I expect blower based forge which uses burners that burn 1/3 as much propane & other goodies.

Crosche

Super User
The venturi style burners are okay, but they tend to be very loud and I have not had any luck forge welding with them. Additionally, oxidization can be problematic because there is a fine line between running too rich or too lean vs desired forging temperature.
My new burner is a ribbon style burner with a blower which should be much quieter and consume less propane.

It should be possible to build a propane bottle forge for about $250 all in and perhaps a bit less if building more than one at a time.

Tom O

Ultra Member
The venturi style burners are okay, but they tend to be very loud and I have not had any luck forge welding with them. Additionally, oxidization can be problematic because there is a fine line between running too rich or too lean vs desired forging temperature.
My new burner is a ribbon style burner with a blower which should be much quieter and consume less propane.

It should be possible to build a propane bottle forge for about $250 all in and perhaps a bit less if building more than one at a time.

What did they use for refractory I have 50 lbs of fire clay from when I built my casting furnace and some kaowool that can be pulled for mixing in.

Crosche

Super User
What did they use for refractory I have 50 lbs of fire clay from when I built my casting furnace and some kaowool that can be pulled for mixing in.

I used Claycast from Clayburn Industries and made the burners myself.

Attachments

• 20201208_183440.jpg
    20201208_183440.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201208_183514.jpg
    20201208_183514.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201208_183540.jpg
    20201208_183540.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Its cheaper to build your own but I think that half the cost of commercial forges like the one at PA is to cover liability insurance premiums.

@Crosche have you checked out the Venturi burner designs by Mike Porter?

Crosche

Super User
Its cheaper to build your own but I think that half the cost of commercial forges like the one at PA is to cover liability insurance premiums.

@Crosche have you checked out the Venturi burner designs by Mike Porter?
Yes, I purchased his book and it's what I base my forge body design on. My venturi burners work fine, but don't seem to cut it for forge welding.