Tool Oxy propane torch

Tool

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Apparently I'm going to need to do a fair bit of sheet metal shrinking in the future on the Datsun.
I have an old oxy/acetylene regulator. Will that work if I use oxy and propane? or do I need a different setup.? I got rid of the oxy/ acetylene tanks years ago because I never used it and got tired of paying rent on the bottles.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Needs a different regulator for the propane, different hoses (T I believe?), and different torch heads...almost better off just buying a whole new outfit for it.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I went Oxy Propane a few years back. I can confirm, different regulator, hoses, tips....... I bought both regulators/hoses in case I get the urge for Acetylene down the road.

Grant T

An acetylene regulator will work on a propane tank such as a 20 pound tank as long as you have the right connector to the tank. I use the left hand thread, male nut to on the regulator. Same red hose to the torch. If you are using a cutting torch, you will need a propane style tip, it is a 2 piece. What brand of torch do you have, Princess Auto sells Victor style cutting tips. They are hard to light, the trick is to put the tip on the work bench at about a 45 degree angle, light with a striker while the tip is still on the table then adjust the oxygen while keeping the torch tip setting on the table at that angle, works well.
If you are using a regular welding tip, it will work but will be hard to light and adjust, use some patience the first few times. Keep the propane and oxy pressures both at about 5psi.
Grant

KeeponDragon

Super User
I can attest...a cutting tip should be a propane tip...I have an old Miller-Smith torch. It is highly recommended to get the T type hose's. Acetylene hose doesn't appreciate what propane can do to it. It'll still work, but long term use will degrade the hose.
I went through Linde as well for both items. Bit of a shit show with my local outlet, but they did give me a discount for the shenanigans.
Now if anyone has a rosebud for a Miller...I'm interested
- Mike

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Only thing you need is a propane tip

The internal left hand thread is the same for propane/acetylene/mapp gas

If you don't have grade t hoses, they will degrade eventually

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Thanks for all the advice, gents.
Turns out all the hoses, tips and torches are AWOL somewhere and I now know what a busted regulator looks like. I had seen it in the bottom of the drawer sometime ago but when I dug it out it looked like my nephew had been doing hammer practice.
New torches, tips, tanks and hoses acquired today.

wmetfab

Hi, when I ran my shop i switched to propane exclusively. The tips are 2 piece, important to keep them clean.
It takes a longer to preheat but can make a beautiful square cut without melting the edges
Adjust the flame with more oxygen so the flame is a pale blue and the flame whistles a bit. That will preheat faster. When depressing the cut lever the sound should crackle a tiny bit. Angle and lead into the cut a bit on thin material. Any shaking stops the cut and u have to pre heat to go again. Use a guide and try hard to relax and stay steady
Good luck

Jswain

Joe
I see it's an old post but I will also x3 on the new propane tip and everything else is ok.

Use your current hose too until it's a problem then go with grade t hoses.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I see it's an old post but I will also x3 on the new propane tip and everything else is ok.

Use your current hose too until it's a problem then go with grade t hoses.

No, don't use the same hoses...the leak that blows up your garage won't be fun lol

wmetfab

We used the same 50ft hoses for years no problem. All our torches were liquid air I had 3 full sets plus one on the welding truck. It ran on propane so we plumbed a vapour line from the LPG truck tank to the torch cabinet and we ran the big oxygen cylinder It was a super slick setup.

Jswain

Joe
No, don't use the same hoses...the leak that blows up your garage won't be fun lol
Acetylene hoses leak & get replaced or fixed all the time, that is why they make repair kits for them.

Shut off your bottles when you're done and test your hoses for leaks occasionally.

Need to run out and buy new hoses is an internet thing. It might take 50 years to degrade the hose, which probably would be degraded in that time with acetylene too.

rodm1

No new reg is needed just LP rated hose if it starts to leak and new tip is all. Ajustment is made aiming at a steel plate at a 45 degree angle.

Martin w

They are both low pressure gases. Regulator stays the same. New orifice in the tip and you are good to go. Go to your local gas supplier. They will set you up.
Martin