• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Overly complicated vise stop

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One advantage you guys with Kurts & their clones mill vises is they have rectangular jaws. They lend themselves to jaw replacement, sacrificial jaws and those clamp-on stops. I'm a big fan of stops. They help a lot with accuracy as the part can go in & out as often as you like & preserve the same position. Unfortunately my mill vise has prismatic jaws. I shouldn't complain because its super accurate. But you cant use the typical rectangular clamp on stop due to the taper on the back face & also there is very little lip. I have a stop that comes in from the side but it takes a little longer to set up. When you have little parts around the middle of the jaw, these kind of stops are easier.

So I came up with this arrangement. Its basically a steel bar with a bolt on front lip stop. It saved me milling away a bunch of material from solid & gives me flexibility to attach different thicknesses or custom shapes if I choose. I had to relieve a notch in the top bar so it would clear the jaw protrusion. The rest lies flat on the top of the vise block. My vise also has big cap screw heads protruding proud on the block but I decided to not relieve for those or there would be little left of the bar to lay flat on. So my range is limited between them, but that's going to be fine.

The overly complicated part comes with the clamping mechanism. Its funny how you take a POS hardware store clamp for granted. I wanted a shoe that would clamp tight & accurate & in line as much as possible with the stop area. That means the foot has to be able to free rotate about the threaded screw. If its fixed to the screw the whole assembly skates sideways as the shoe makes contacts & torques against the surface. There is a reason why clamp feet are designed this way. Many commercial clamp shoes have a ball in socket which nice but easy to replicate. Some are just a cup with a peened over end. So I machined what looks like a big thumbscrew with 1/4-28 TPI threads & tapped the end of the screw 4-40. A flathead 4-40 screw gets loctited in there so it always resides behind the face of the shoe via the countersink but just enough clearance so the shoe can rotate. It works!

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Clamping parts. BTW I'm liking my Aliexpress (clone of Carmex) threading inserts. The steel is 12L14.

Attachments

• IMG_8093_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8093_edited-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8094_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8094_edited-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8095_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8095_edited-1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8096_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8096_edited-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Clamp body parts. Plain 1018 mild steel. I probably should have machined the surfaces flat but some hand filing & wet/dry on a glass plate made it acceptable. I will blacken these so they dont collect rust.

Attachments

• IMG_8097_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8097_edited-1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8098_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8098_edited-1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8099_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8099_edited-1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8100_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8100_edited-1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8101_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8101_edited-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In the vise

Attachments

• IMG_8104_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8104_edited-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8103_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8103_edited-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8102_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8102_edited-1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8105_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8105_edited-1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8106_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8106_edited-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8107_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8107_edited-1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8108_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8108_edited-1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And then I discovered it 'almost' works as a side clamp. But the shoe isn't making full contact. I need more notch relief and maybe deeper stop finger. I'll see if its worth the bother once I run this one.
But I'm happy with how it locks in position in the intended mode. very positive.

Attachments

• IMG_8109_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8109_edited-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8110_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8110_edited-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0

trlvn

Ultra Member
A picture is worth a thousand words--I wasn't really getting it from your description.

BTW, your photos are really good!

Craig

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made a shorter length stop finger just to give me more options around different parallel heights. I put a nylon washer between the brass foot & end of the clamp screw. And finally the blackening treatment on the bar parts which came out blotch free this time. I think there is something beneficial to those scuff pads as a surface treatment, methanol wipe to remove any oils, handle with rubber gloves etc. Another Duh moment - I don't have to put the clamp rotated on the outside, it can just position it upright on the other side of protruding cap screws. The more I play with this, the more I like it. Its so quick to set up & very positive grip, stays put.

Attachments

• IMG_1698_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1698_edited-1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1699_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1699_edited-1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1700_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1700_edited-1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1704_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1704_edited-1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just the usual generic blackening stuff, I find its all the same, just different price. I flattened the (1018) steel with wet-o-dry on a plate so there was no surface coating anywhere, all shiny metal. Then the maroon colored scotch pad on all the surfaces so it was uniform matt finish. I have a hunch this is helpful over machined or sanded finish, kind of an even micro surface texture like what primer provides to paint. Then a de-greaser spritz & wipe with paper towel. Any oil or cutting fluid has to be off & maybe needs repeating. I've used acetone, brake cleaner, high % alcohol... seem the work similarly. Just avoid generic thinners which can have oils within them. I gave this one a methanol spritz by accident, picked up the wrong bottle.

Then when dry a dip in the blackening solution. These parts used maybe an inch or less liquid in a new paper coffee cup so I could angle the cup & get more contact on the longer piece swapping it end for end. I remove & let it sit for a minute to kind of dry, light rub with paper towel, look for any blotch or miss spots. Repeat a few times. The liquid is light blue to begin with, it goes a tan color but is still active. If its dark its less active. Better to toss it & use fresh stuff vs adding to it. After maybe 5 min dry I gave it a super light rub with paper towel just to take away the kind of chalky excess & then into a bath of WD-40. It kind of soaks into the black. Then blot & repeat. I don't know why WD-40 works but it does. It kind of takes on this semi-sealed look, not glossy but not dry matt. I haven't experimented with other oils or the special 'sealer' that you can buy as part of the blackening kit. I'd be interested to know if it works better than WD-40 (but not interested enough to pay for it yet haha). Use new rubber gloves through the process because A) the cleaners & chemicals re not good for your skin B) I think handling the metal with natural oil on your fingers might be part of what makes blotching.

I'm also intrigued by the heat & oil dip method but I just cannot get nice consistency with a torch & its a rigmarole. Maybe if I had a mini oven & could just let arrive to a predictable temp soaked through the whole part. The chemical blackening isn't as tough or very deep but OTOH my lathe stops see perpetual swarf & oil & cutting fluid & they are hanging in not bad at all.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And the magic ingredient is WD-40. That’s weird Peter. So no heating of fluids? No sodium hydroxide cleaning? No distilled water rinse?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Correct on all the above. Room temperature and I have tried the heat gun pre-heat too. Someone told me the sealer they sell has some paraffin or some kind of wax like constituent but I haven't tried it. Maybe WD-40 is thinner and absorbs in more, but still has a bit of oil carrier. Next time I'm going to try a plain low visc machine oil & try same coupons both ways.