• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Organizing steel.

Tips/Techniques
You can crop those out on your phone or laptop with the edit function it’s the joy of a screenshot
The Screenshots show what/how the images in the original post look on my systems so @Susquatch can be sure he understands what I and others are seeing on some of our older images. Please check this thread, and you will see the history and where things are with regard to missing/partially-greyed-out images.

This is what the original images looked like when they was first posted (you can also check them on other forums (search "Chazz's Shop, and then look for the "Metal & Plastic Stock (More Labels!!" post):

Even More Labeling.jpeg More Labeling.jpeg
No grey bars.

Last edited:
Up until recently, basically all the metal I had was pieces under 24 inches. I bought a couple of 4 inch waster water pipes and cut them to fit under my bench. The offcut is in the lower right.

For steel that is better than basic low carbon, I try to remember to keep the end marked ("12L14", etc). Notice that gaps between pipes can be used to store small pieces.

Now that I've got some longer stock, I like to have some better organization for that. Better than just a pile leaning in a corner!

Craig
That's disgusting, I don't see a bit of swarf on the floor or anywhere. You mom must have beat you if you didn't clean your room:eek: I have a similar storage for my short ends, but bolted the pipes together 3 across and 4 high, but there are a pile of 4-6 inch bits on top of it in no semblance of order. Then there is a bunch of 3 ft and 4 ft pieces leaning against the wall, and in the other corner there are the 5-8ft long leaners holding onto the wall. And the swarf crunches on the floor and provides traction for me. It's a combination system:p

That's disgusting, I don't see a bit of swarf on the floor or anywhere. You mom must have beat you if you didn't clean your room
Some of us were just raised right.

I have a similar storage for my short ends, but bolted the pipes together 3 across and 4 high.
I used hot melt glue to build my rack from 3” cardboard tubes (free from work - cores from plotter paper rolls).

I built this little rack of hooks recently in the smithy. Works well for shorts and lets me keep near sizes and sections together.
1000003167.jpg
Because of my transportation and boating limits, most of my stock makes it here in under 6' lengths.
I use a paint marker to label alloys, usually all up and down the bar at about foot intervals because I know I'll miss re-labeling if I cut off the marked end.

Got my storage solution made.

Don't judge my wood, I reclaimed it from next to a dumpster. The budget for this build was $0. :D

Also got a preliminary sorting of my machining metals.

It 35 1/2 wide, and 18"deep x 24 high. The top shelf can accommodate lengths of 24".

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0750.jpeg
    IMG_0750.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0751.jpeg
    IMG_0751.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 12
Got my storage solution made.

Don't judge my wood, I reclaimed it from next to a dumpster. The budget for this build was $0. :D

Also got a preliminary sorting of my machining metals.

It 35 1/2 wide, and 18"deep x 24 high. The top shelf can accommodate lengths of 24".
Good use of that space under the bed !!

Back