• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

optical rotary table, $250, Richmond Hill, ON

Surely you make your own spline shafting due to the unique farming conditions in which you run your equipment.........
Make one spline and your claim is fully supported, because frankly the cost to have the work done for you would be 2 to 3 times more

Good point. That's something I have not done yet. Closest I have come is keyways. If I ever did have to cut splines using such a tool, then I would agree.

Technically, it didn't really follow me home. It immigrated from Toronto to Farm Country by pony express starting with a find by @JustaDB, bait photo by @YYCHM, expression of demented curiosity and lust by @Susquatch, pickup and storage by @TorontoBuilder, and finally a journey down the 401 by @PatrickT to arrive here at the farm yesterday. Of course that had to be followed by the obligatory front loader tractor parade on a pallet to the barn and then unceremoniously dumped on the floor while two guys ignore the poor thing to enjoy a farm and shop tour and exchange lots of great stories.

It's a beast. Prior estimates placed it at 150 pounds, maybe more. I'll try and weigh it later. It will need it's own storage cart. I'm shopping for the right one on line now.

Something like that just has to have its own lifting point. I kept looking for an eye bolt hole at the right balance point. Nada! Then I thought maybe a bar through the spindle bore. Nope, internally blocked somehow. Then I spotted them - two 3/4 inch holes through the base from end to end at right angles to the spindle. Two 20" long 3/4" rods would provide handles for two guys on each side to lift with, or a place to wrap lifting straps from. But I think it will get some 10" x 3/4 ready rod with chain hooks and nuts so I can put it on its new cart with my engine hoist. Sliding it off the cart onto my mill table shouldn't be too difficult. I'll deal with that later on too.

@TorontoBuilder already took a few photos of the optical system - see above. So I won't repeat those here. Further insights will have wait till I get it placed. In the meantime, I'm tickled pink. Even SWMBO easily saw the old guy's excitement.

Good point. That's something I have not done yet. Closest I have come is keyways. If I ever did have to cut splines using such a tool, then I would agree.
Now you just need to find an adaption to install a LED type bulb instead of the old incandescent that ran off that funky transformer.

Now you just need to find an adaption to install a LED type bulb instead of the old incandescent that ran off that funky transformer.

Ya, I'm not really fond of proprietary lights. I have such a light on my lathe. They burn out easily and the only place I can get the bulbs is from Grizzly. Their newest lathes use a different bulb so I worry about how long they will be available.

I have a lab grade microscope that has a built in specimen light. I can't find the bulbs anywhere.

So ya, a more common light bulb and voltage is definitely a priority.

This story demonstrates that the cooperation & help & trust & involvement & willingness from fellow Forum members is great. Well done guys!
I joined CHMW for the community, and it truly is. I hope when my little shop is up and running I can build out a 5X10 drop deck trailer, so we can take advantage of a few more crazy auction finds in far away places(preferably without $200 rigging fees on $10 buys).

Technically, it didn't really follow me home. It immigrated from Toronto to Farm Country by pony express starting with a find by @JustaDB, bait photo by @YYCHM, expression of demented curiosity and lust by @Susquatch, pickup and storage by @TorontoBuilder, and finally a journey down the 401 by @PatrickT to arrive here at the farm yesterday.
Man, that's a lotta beer you owe... I'll have a nice, hoppy, west coast style IPA, thankyouverymuch.

Man, that's a lotta beer you owe... I'll have a nice, hoppy, west coast style IPA, thankyouverymuch.
Susquatch paid into the "beer bank" for my participation when he picked up nearly new 3 HP and 5 HP 3 phase motors on my behalf so I wouldnt miss a sweet deal... so I'd call that even. But that said, I like a nice IPA with galaxy, citra and mosaic hops.

I have found that for the last couple of years I get an upset stomach with beer. I cure that with a teaspoon of Arm and Hammer.

I always try to leave the park a little cleaner than I found it. And I have a motto I often use - the best way to repay a favour is to pass it on.

Your turn will come. It might not be direct, and you might not even like it, but it will surely come.

Lastly, If you are ever out this way shoot me a PM and we will see that you have a full belly and lots of laughs. We are abstainers ourselves so only the kid's beer on hand, but with notice I'll happily get your favorite.

Back