• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Ontario Tools of the trade show

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Anyone else go? https://ontarioantiquetools.com/

I usually don't find much, I'm not a tool collector, but it's nice to wander, browse and haggle. I did pick up a couple things today that I've been wanting, like a couple cheap abusable F wrenches for twisting/blacksmithing, and a few other things I didn't know I wanted/deal fillers. The 2 big taps were the ice breaker, and the deals of the day for me. $10 each, and I doubt they've ever been used. The drilling S&F, and tap mechanical calculators are just cool to me, and will join the rest of them on my desk at work.
GqKojgZl.jpg

yJ1MV2Ll.jpg

3AYTd2Kl.jpg

cxpoKrFl.jpg

My only goal was to hopefully pick up some blacksmith tools, and not come home with any projects. I'm not counting having to now make a big tap wrench as a project..... so goal met. The surface gauge (a Moore and wright) is nicer than my user at work, and the new apprentice doesn't have one, so I'll keep this, and gift him mine. Oh, and only $100 left my wallet today including the $10 entry, not great, but not bad.

Last edited:

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Ha ha. Most of that came from the first booth on the left of the entrance: I think the best booth in the whole show for machining related items. I contemplated those taps until realized my SB 9C lathe has a 1.5 - 8 thread, I was no longer interested; price was excellent though. I was thoroughly disappointed in the show but it was a chance to get out of the house. Hit Gagnon sports in Oshawa after that for more time killing at their anniversary sale...bought 4 lures and go figure they weren't on sale. Felt like a bag of balls when it was all over. :rolleyes:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Yep, I've always bought something from him over the years, and always has reasonable prices on decent usable machinist tools. Usually the first one I head to, then wander around checking out a few others, before digging deep through all the boxes, for the cheap stuff :D. Don't want to spend my money all at once :D

The one kick to myself was the big die nuts. $5 a piece, but I didn't want to buy multiples or what I already had at home, so I didn't buy any. Turns out I could have filled out a couple missing ones. Oh well. A searchable DB on my phone of all my tools would have been handy, my memory isn't that good, and only getting worse.

It's not the greatest show from a machinist standpoint, but it's still worth the $10 to rummage aroundfor stuff I never knew I needed. Never know what you'll find. Usually go with my Dad and Fil, maybe a kid or two, but flew solo this time. Was kinda nice.

I almost didn't even make it. Forgot all about it, and was working away out in the garage when the notification went off on my phone. Then went inside to tell the wife I was heading out, just as there was a racket coming from the woodstove pipe. 10 minutes later I had that all apart and freed the bird that fell down inside, and THEN I could go to the tool show. About 40-45 mins late.

kstrauss

I've gone to the Tools of the Trades show since before it moved to Kahn's Auction Barn (30 years ago?). For machinist stuff this was the worst version that I can recall. There seemed to be a considerably larger crowd this year than other recent shows.

Yes, the guy and spouse on the left side usually has some interesting stuff. Good prices on both medium (10-32 spiral point) and large new taps. I bought a good condition 8-inch Kurt style vise from him a few years ago.

The only thing that I bought this year was a very well made thread gauge with every pitch from 4 to 72tpi.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I think I've only been going on/off for 5,6-7 years now?. Only at the current venue. Machinist stuff (that I want) has always been hit or miss, but if you want Stanley hand planes.....

I'm a "thrifter" (as the kids call it now, I call it just being cheap/poor), yard sale, auction hound, and it's just nice to browse a selection of more focused stuff/tools instead of hoping I find something interesting at my usual haunts. Although I did find a Fowler depth indicator (with all the rods) at the re-store on Thursday for $10. Those finds are few and far between.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm a "thrifter" (as the kids call it now, I call it just being cheap/poor), yard sale, auction hound, and it's just nice to browse a selection of more focused stuff/tools instead of hoping I find something interesting at my usual haunts. Although I did find a Fowler depth indicator (with all the rods) at the re-store on Thursday for $10. Those finds are few and far between.

What a great word - "Thrifter".

That's me to a T.

I love real garage sales. Not Tupperware parties.

I used to love auctions too. Not so much anymore since internet bidding came along.

I've also been called a Ditch Diver, a Dumpster Demon, a Sale Snake, a Kijiji Keener, and a Marketplace Mongrel. So I REALLY LOVE the moniker "THRIFTER". Yup, that's me too!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That's what it's called now, but I thought it was just normal growing up poor lol. If I wanted something, I wasn't getting it new. No way I could afford to live the lifestyle I have now on new full retail prices. Not to mention the quality of new goods now is usually complete crap with a few exceptions. More money for less quality, no thanks.

It used to be frowned, and looked down upon, but now that the word "thrifter" is used, it's cool again. :rolleyes:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I think I've only been going on/off for 5,6-7 years now?. Only at the current venue. Machinist stuff (that I want) has always been hit or miss, but if you want Stanley hand planes.....

Dan,
I have a few FOWLER micrometers from 25 years ago. Do you know of a good repair shop for that brand in the GTA ?
The FOWLER company told me recently that they did not have any ‘official‘ service centres in Canada.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Dan,
I have a few FOWLER micrometers from 25 years ago. Do you know of a good repair shop for that brand in the GTA ?

If I were you Len, I'd try to repair them myself. I can't imagine that having a repair shop do it would cost less than buying brand new ones.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Dan,
The FOWLER company told me recently that they did not have any ‘official‘ service centres in Canada.

You might want to contact Mark Ratkowski. Keith Rucker on the Vintage Machinery Youtube channel has recommended him highly in the past. I inquired a couple of years ago and he indicated (!) that the cost depends on the amount of work required. From the pictures I supplied, he did estimate USD $40 to 50, plus shipping, for regular plunge indicator. Contact info:

Mark Ratkowski <mrtool2010@hotmail.com>

M.R. TOOL REPAIR
269 LANCATSER DR
CRYSTAL LAKE IL 60014

Incidentally, my wife ran across a new service that can save money getting packages across the border:

$7 per package, up to 10 pounds. You have it delivered to their address in the USA and then they bring it across the border. You pick it up from one of their locations. They have a few in Ontario, BC and Quebec. Worked well for the one small package my wife ordered.

Craig

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Sorry Len, I don't know anyone specifically that could repair it. What is the issue you're having with them? Sticky tight, thimbles, or more serious like anvil repair? About 12 years ago I dropped my 1" mit's digital mic, and it landed right on the lower anvil and bent the frame. I was able to straighten the frame back out pretty damn close, but one of our tooling vendors knew a guy that did repairs as a side gig. He lapped the anvil back into spec for me, he only charged me $80, and it's been perfect ever since. Saved me a few $$$ over buying a new one. The only way you could tell is that there is some paint chipped from where it was bent. About 5 years ago I needed an indicator repaired and tried to contact the same guy, but he was no longer doing it.

I suspect that there are many guys out there that are capable and competent enough to do the job, whatever repair may be needed, but finding them is an issue. I'd try and find a watch repair place, as the skillset and tools required are very parallel. There's probably a few guys on this forum that could do it too, but might not have time or desire to take on outside work. What is the issue with the mics, perhaps the collective knowledge of the board could guide you to a repair?

LenVW

Premium Member
The issue is that the thimble has seized and will not rotate. I have cleaned it, soaked it with lubricant, let it sit in penetrating oil and cleaned it again, still no luck.

Craig, I have been offered repair service by Fowler in the USA, but, I was hoping there would be someone in the KW-GTA area who services measurement instruments.
If anybody could recommend someone, I would like somebody more local.

LenVW

Premium Member
Well, I abandoned the idea of repairing the micrometer . . . for now.

I did purchase an ACCUSIZE 0-1” mic for $40.
It is almost exactly the same as the ‘seized’ FOWLER that I bought in 1982.
If I remember, the micrometer cost me $150

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Dan Dubeau said Try a 1:1 mix of atf and acetone. I love that stuff for un sticking things, that other products wont budge.

Very interesting combo - do you wrap in a plastic bag or put in an air tight container?
I’d have thought the acetone would evaporate quickly and leave only the atf.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
@Dan Dubeau said Try a 1:1 mix of atf and acetone. I love that stuff for un sticking things, that other products wont budge.

Very interesting combo - do you wrap in a plastic bag or put in an air tight container?
I’d have thought the acetone would evaporate quickly and leave only the atf.
Yes, the acetone evaporates. After 2 or 3 times of mixing up a squirt bottle full, I've learned now to just mix as I need it.

A couple years ago I stumbled across one of those plunger solvent containers where you push down with a rag, and the solvent comes up to soak it, then drains back in the container when you let go. I wanted one for acetone to clean parts for welding so I bought one. It showed up bigger than I expected, or really needed, but I filled it up with acetone and happy with my new purchase used it for a couple Aluminum tig jobs, then as things go around here, it sat on the welding table for a while until the next time I needed it.... The next time I needed it it was empty, and I think I would have got more enjoyment out of lighting money on fire than evaporating an entire jug of acetone for nothing lol. I ended up giving it to the welder in the shop next door at work. He loves it.

LenVW

Premium Member
Yes, the acetone evaporates. After 2 or 3 times of mixing up a squirt bottle full, I've learned now to just mix as I need it.

A couple years ago I stumbled across one of those plunger solvent containers where you push down with a rag, and the solvent comes up to soak it, then drains back in the container when you let go. I wanted one for acetone to clean parts for welding so I bought one. It showed up bigger than I expected, or really needed, but I filled it up with acetone and happy with my new purchase used it for a couple Aluminum tig jobs, then as things go around here, it sat on the welding table for a while until the next time I needed it.... The next time I needed it it was empty, and I think I would have got more enjoyment out of lighting money on fire than evaporating an entire jug of acetone for nothing lol. I ended up giving it to the welder in the shop next door at work. He loves it.
Thanks for your suggestions . . . Everbody.
Dan,
I will try them when I run across some small containers of each.
The hobbyists always run into the availability and quantity issues.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
ATF i have lots of, i did find a small can of acetone at PA. Will have to try this on a old turn buckle i found in my former scrap pile, i have used heat and lots different kinds of penetrants to no avail.