• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Old Age Sucks!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It's not what you think....:p

Our 30 year old kitchen cabinet door hinges have decided to ejecting their self-closing springs on a regular basis. Stupid plastic retaining clips get brittle after 20 years:( After surveying the kitchen 1/3 are missing, and 1/3 are cracked and ready to fail. SWMBO has declared that the whole lot get replaced. There are 40 of them:eek: This is not going to be fun:(

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It's not what you think....:p

Our 30 year old kitchen cabinet door hinges have decided to ejecting their self-closing springs on a regular basis. Stupid plastic retaining clips get brittle after 20 years:( After surveying the kitchen 1/3 are missing, and 1/3 are cracked and ready to fail. SWMBO has declared that the whole lot get replaced. There are 40 of them:eek: This is not going to be fun:(
Are they Euro style hinges?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had a very similar experience with my old kitchen cupboards. The hinges were rough and were painted up to and on several times so in the last repaint job of the cupboards I decided to replace them all. Although the new replacement hinges appeared to have the exact same screw hole pattern to the old ones, upon installation I found out that they were not. I don't know if it was imperial to metric change but 2 out of the 3 screw holes seemed to match up but the third was half a hole out. This made for more crooked and stripped screw holes than I like but fortunately my cupboards were made out of real plywood 65 years ago and could handle a less than ideal screw placement. I also remember the cupboard hardware selection was vast, and varied from cheap to "HOW much?!"

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @YYCHobbyMachinist to bad I am not closer, I build cabinets in the parallel universe between ship work and machining - just got in 100 x 1/2 overlay soft close and have 150 x full overlay soft close for future projects.

if they are Euro style and a Bloom, Hetich or Richelieu style you should be able to keep the clips on the cases and just change out the soft close parts. Two screws - if they are the press in type and don’t have the screws, well not as easy. I only use the screw type.
30 years is pretty good life - most bulk barn kitchens are designed for 10 years!

if you like your cabinets a 30 year mid-life hinge refit is pretty good deal :)

see if you can track down a cabinet supply place local that will give you a good deal on the replacements - something like $3 or under each. I buy them for $1.69 plus shipping and have to get 100 at a time. Clip plates are about $0.30 each but you gotta buy 200

Hacker

Super User
When I need parts for our cabinets I go to KitchenCraft, they sell parts for hinges. Lee Valley will sell you hinges as well

Hacker

Super User
Those are standard cabinet hinges and I think you can buy those at Home Depot. No replacement parts on them.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
We had a younger hinge go. It was the euro style made by Marathon. I went to their outlet and got 2 replacements. After having bought hinges from HD and LeeValley I was absolutely shocked by how LITTLE I was charged for them.
Richelieu is right next door to them on 52nd St.
I imagine one or the other carries the style @YYCHobbyMachinist has.

Hacker

Super User
I have had very good luck with Lee Valley when it comes to matching up old hinges. They have a lot on line.

Brent H

Ultra Member
My cost is $4.30 for a bag of 2 - that’s at Richelieu- see if you can get them even cheaper. Price drops if you order 100 bags of 2 - LOL

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My cost is $4.30 for a bag of 2 - that’s at Richelieu- see if you can get them even cheaper. Price drops if you order 100 bags of 2 - LOL

How do you get that website to show a price? I just picked up 19 bags of BP139M41 at $5.69/bag at Rona.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist : I have the contractor sign in with them - basically costs money and you can sign in as a business. I Do a couple kitchens a year and some bathroom/laundry room custom jobs so I get a bulk order out there every so often. I am not as keen on the “installations” but still making doors, drawers and boxes in that parallel universe. - that is not a bad price for the hinges you paid - considering shipping etc - glad I could help track down a close match :). You went with a bit different finish - easier for you to match on site - sweet!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist : I have the contractor sign in with them - basically costs money and you can sign in as a business. I Do a couple kitchens a year and some bathroom/laundry room custom jobs so I get a bulk order out there every so often. I am not as keen on the “installations” but still making doors, drawers and boxes in that parallel universe. - that is not a bad price for the hinges you paid - considering shipping etc - glad I could help track down a close match :). You went with a bit different finish - easier for you to match on site - sweet!

I picked the color because they were almost a $1 less per bag that the antique brass ones:D Color doesn't really matter much the whole shebang is getting replaced. Currently working on door # 3 of 19:p

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What a PITA.... The screw holes on the replacement hinges are just a smidge off from the original hinges. About 1/8" or less. 3.JPG

I've taken to slotting the hinge holes on the mill so that I don't have to deal with drilling new screw holes in the cupboards and doors.

Working on door # 10 of 19 now:p

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What a PITA.... The screw holes on the replacement hinges are just a smidge off from the original hinges. About 1/8" or less.View attachment 13465

I've taken to slotting the hinge holes on the mill so that I don't have to deal with drilling new screw holes in the cupboards and doors.

Working on door # 10 of 19 now:p
Told you so! It looks like your fix is a perfect solution however.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Well at least you can do it! There probably some poor sod out there using a file.
It would be good for practice at using hand tools. I recently did a bit of filing and hacksawing. Might actually be getting better at it.