• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Obelisk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I had a lot of trouble with the setup for aluminium mig. I don’t have a spool gun just trying to use my smaller torch. After bird nesting about a dozen times I finally got all the details rights. I’m only bird nesting now about one in six welds while annoying I can manage. 22.5V and 450ipm for 0.035 5356 wire and a 1.0mm tip.

Next model I want to build is 2” legs 18” high. That will be to scale. It rotates too on the long axis.

@Dabbler rold me you can weld aluminium without a spool gun just use a bigger tip. I also make sure the wire is loose in the tip after every weld and give it a pull to pull out any slack. After I let go of the trigger the wire often hits the weld pushes back and sticks. I think this causes the wire to kink back in the machine.
Pulling up on the torch at the end of the weld and pulling the wire with pliers helps prevent bird nests.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
we've sent a few emails about this and it isn't quite that easy. Here's an article (Found by John Neilsen) on this, but my experience differs a little bit:

https://welditu.com/welding/tips-mig/weld-aluminum-without-spoolgun/

140 amps My aluminum welder is 80 amp. I use .035 wire at 75 amps with a slow feed rate, and got good structural results once I learned what I was doing.

reduce friction yes!! very good and I had to do this too.

ER4043 is what I use. I can't vouch for ER5356 - but John A did well with 5356

more driven rollers poppycock. mine has one driven with an idler, like most MIG welders

keep torch cable short yes yes yes!!!

100% argon. the only way to make it work --- and use LOTS of gas... more volume/pressure than for MIG steel wire

material prep - what I wish I knew before making all the mistakes.

--A great primer, but one last thing he missed: preheat the beginning of the weld weld area with a propane torch to water boiling temperature before beginning. Yes having droplets near the weld is fine - and this will help a LOT to get your wld puddle started

and lastly, try to move the weld quickly, as fast as the puddle allows, as overheating the base metal results in 'aluminum flash', where it weakens the metal just beside your beautiful, strong weld...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You might be onto a commercial item there. Just in time for the holidays - a Toblerone holder! LOL.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I broke down and bought a parker spool gun and the welding obelisk continues. Welding aluminium is really tricky.

Attachments

• 4DB8CA8F-530E-4D47-807A-F682DCF33FF0.jpeg
    4DB8CA8F-530E-4D47-807A-F682DCF33FF0.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 705EB7B4-1D92-43BE-B84E-3466B1BE7F22.jpeg
    705EB7B4-1D92-43BE-B84E-3466B1BE7F22.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 13
  • D0C48FF3-FDCD-4B25-9A69-5A822CED83AE.jpeg
    D0C48FF3-FDCD-4B25-9A69-5A822CED83AE.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 12