Tool O-ring diy

Tool

fixerup

Super User
I made this o-ring splicer, jointer a few years ago. A .015" recess in the middle for the blade to fit. Glued both plastic pieces together. Then drilled holes for some common size o-ring. Did a Vee groove small and big on the ends of the tool to join the o-ring cord during the glue process. All was good when I used the special Loctite o-ring glue a $$$ I would join the pieces together and hold for a few seconds and it would stay together.
The cheap crazy glue takes a while to cure, so I added staple clamps on the ends of the vee groove. Drilled eight .034" holes for the staples to slide in and out.
I have used these diy o-ring in vacuum systems, oil vapor cover, window screens and many other non critical situations . The o-ring in the picture is for the aluminum plug which is used in a caulking tube I am making.

20240202_110924.jpg

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
That’s better than my method. I use a couple of v-blocks in a vise. Mostly for small urethane drive belts for my engraving machines, joined by melting the ends.

https://www.amazon.ca/High-Performance-Polyurethane-Surface-Transmission-4mm×10m/dp/B07W4J64BF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1P1TEBYONDN90&keywords=urethane%2Bround%2Bbelt&qid=1706892547&sprefix=urethane%2Bbe%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just use rectangular 2 scraps of whatever joined like so. Temporarily tape the O-ring cord down into the corner & its the same as a Vee: 2 contact lines &your hands are free. With the ends mitered & facing each other you just need a drop of CA into the joint & allow to cure. The edge of the jig can also help to guide the blade to cut the cord ends square. I also recommend these disposable glue extenders for CA. Makes getting glue exactly where you want it much easier, especially the thin viscosity stuff that just loves to run where it doesn't belong.

1706925380428.png 1706925609411.png

Attachments

• 1706925266172.png
    1706925266172.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 4

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry bad choice of words on my part. I usually do the ends square so I just mean if the end of the jig was square you could run a blade along it as a cutting guide, but its not much different than Mark-1 eyeball just cutting across it unaided.

A simple way to make a miter is align the cord ends like so & slice across both simultaneously. The angles will be a good match, but this method makes it harder to hit a resultant target O-ring diameter.
I should mention I have only used CA glue on Viton and ?forgot tradename Nitrile maybe? But silicone is a different animal, not sure CA would work at all.

1706933144431.png