• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

O/A Welding Unit for Sale - < 10 hrs Use

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Prostar (Praxair) Oxy/Acet unit for sale - $100.00. About 10 yrs old but maybe 10 hrs of use on it (at most). Bought as a backup unit years ago and rarely used. Cutting torch, Victor rosebud, and a never used O-W# tip as well.

No tanks. Full money back if not happy.

upload_2016-10-1_20-14-2.png

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
SOLD PETER I WANT IT

When can I pay you?
Well...look at it first and make sure its what you need. But I am home all week building evil inventions in my garage. I'm in Tuscany (NW). Just let me know what time works for you and you can stop in.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Now I need some tanks... Anybody got any ideas on that? $5-600 new ...

kylemp

I use linde for my bottles but I don't know what they would charge for it. I think my rental is 60 a year

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I called praxair. Any tank is $110 year to rent. A 3.5 cu ft fill of acetylene is $163. Oxygen is $62 or $70 for a fill for S and K sized tanks. Is that a 110 cu ft? So $445 to rent to get started. Buying tanks with smaller volume B size would be $507. Omg

Jyman

Did you try KMS tools, they sell tanks and do fills there also, well at least the one in Edmonton does.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I never did call linde. KMS is more than oxy pro. I heard through the grapevine renting is $10/month per tank. So that's the same as praxair.

I did come up with one idea after talking to @Alexander . He reports propane with a bigger tip works nearly as well and then all you need is an oxygen tank. A propane tank is cheap. So that option might cost $300 for a 110 ft oxygen tank filled from oxypro. I've got a good propane regulator and a propane tank already. Still more than I hoped to spend but .....

Looking online it's far less in places like LA. $200USD for two tanks filled. So why is it doubleish in Canada?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@Janger your acetylene regulator works fine with propane too. Threads right in and works as normal. No fancy propane regulator required.

Dogpounder

Would a propane setup work fine with a rosebud tip for heating metal? Any idea where to get a gas saver valve in Calgary.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
If you are using the exact same tip it will put out noticibly less heat. If you had a larger rosebud tip it would work the same. The propane just has less energy per cubic foot the solution is to increase the flow. I dont know of a good place to get supplies. I rarely buy that type of supplies.