• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Now I’m sure I have angered the machining gods.

@historicalarms your 100% right, my lathe isn’t that small though. It’s a 16x30” with about 5Gal+ of HS oil. And I did the spindle bearings once! I do not wish to do that again! Want more!

@RobinHood thats a neat set up. Stealing power from the lower sheave to run the pump is an idea I had.

Cleaning my shop today (before the bronchitis shut me down) I came across some old mixing drills, could run a pump with one built in speed/flow adjustment.

I’ll figure that when I get a pump, all the gear pumps I can find are US or China will take a bit to get here.

@Darren oil pump with filter on sounds interesting

Well I got a bit of a fix done.

Took a while to get a cyclonic (?) pump from the US for around 50.

Unfortunately it’s a redneckery solution again, I modified the last adapter to index with the new pump, mounted the pump
To a piece of steel plate, and then bolted a small angle iron to two pre existing taped holes in the headstock got it sitting where I think is best and welded the two together.

Flow isn’t too bad.
D59C6A0F-213D-4ED5-8A82-7E833FEE9752.jpeg

0C88B668-5BB6-47D8-A908-E1A7E0B855E3.jpeg
I found a 2 GPM hydraulic pump on marketplace for cheap right after.

I’m going to try and power that from the sheaves in the base of the lathe on the old gear box. That will be my long term less redneck solution.

Old pump shaft snapped right at a cross drilled weep hole I think they put in to relive pressure from the seal side of the gear.
FC885632-2422-43F3-BEEC-019519529071.jpeg

They cut the original pump in half to mount the last pump on. Looking at this housing it looks like an impeller pump to me.

7DAC459F-6BED-441D-A074-5491A0A8DD27.jpeg

I am mostly happy with the flow rate it is better then the last one.

I don’t like the routing of the copper lines but that’s an easier fix.

I’m not 100% on my coupler, the last pump had a 3/8” round shaft. The new one has two large flat spots essentially making it rectangular. Barely thicker then 3/16

I welded the old 3/8” hole closed and milled a slot in it.

It’s not 100% true, if I use the set screw to hold the pump it induces a shake to it. Leaving it loose stops that, so it’s a sort of flex coupler. It might be fine forever, but I like to have something in my back pocket (like remaking my spur gear and shaft to be ready for a replacement if needed)

I’ve got an idea to replace the old two speed gearbox in the lathe base. (Bad seals welded gears, probably on borrowed time)

Replace it with a straight shaft on pillow bearings. I could build this pump into that replacement, even if I don’t need to use it.