• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

November is rotary table month!

Glad it worked out. The RT looks awesome. Does everything work as expected?

Craig
Thanks every one for the comments. It looks like yet another restoration project. The table appears to be stuck. There is something like a neutral engagement where the handwheel spins freely but when engaged the table does not turn. Will have to do a complete tear down, cleanup, and lube I think.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks every one for the comments. It looks like yet another restoration project. The table appears to be stuck. There is something like a neutral engagement where the handwheel spins freely but when engaged the table does not turn. Will have to do a complete tear down, cleanup, and lube I think.
I bet it isn't anything major. Maybe dried oil/grease. It doesn't appear that it had a hard life or is rusty.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I hope it's just internal gunk that is locking it up and not something serious, that is a nice sized one. I haven't used a rotary table in a long time since discovering G03, but I'd love to pick up a hor/vert one for home about that size.

Was that the big tooling auction near the airport that looked like a hoarders shop?

I picked up some odds and ends there on Tuesday including a dividing head.

Yes! That was the auction! Tons of amazing stuff. I went there on Friday right after the auction and they were unable to get my RT down from the loft. Had to go back a second time! Looks like you had no issues with your DH? That DH was a beast if it's the one I saw! Is it in working order?

Rauce

Ultra Member
Yes! That was the auction! Tons of amazing stuff. I went there on Friday right after the auction and they were unable to get my RT down from the loft. Had to go back a second time! Looks like you had no issues with your DH? That DH was a beast if it's the one I saw! Is it in working order?
I had one lot on the loft and managed to get it down with the ladder. No issues with the rest of my lots other than not being able to easily find them.

The dividing head was the one with the chuck mounted. There are some little things that need addressing but it operates smoothly. I will still open it up to inspect and clean it up. Unfortunately the extra plates that came with don’t actually fit the dividing head. The one plate that was on it is double sided so it does cover a fairly large range of possible divisions. No idea as to the make of the head but the chuck is stamped “made in USSR” in English.

Some of the other lots I picked up have surplus items that I will post in the classifieds soon.

I had one lot on the loft and managed to get it down with the ladder. No issues with the rest of my lots other than not being able to easily find them.

The dividing head was the one with the chuck mounted. There are some little things that need addressing but it operates smoothly. I will still open it up to inspect and clean it up. Unfortunately the extra plates that came with don’t actually fit the dividing head. The one plate that was on it is double sided so it does cover a fairly large range of possible divisions. No idea as to the make of the head but the chuck is stamped “made in USSR” in English.

Some of the other lots I picked up have surplus items that I will post in the classifieds soon.
I was thinking about you when I was there the first time up in the loft and wondering how I might get my RT down. I thought if I were @Rauce I would just carry it down the ladder! After all I've been told you can carry a Bridgeport under your arm! I'm OK with heights and climbing on ladders and I really didn't want to make the trip a second time but I decided the wise thing for me to do was to wait.

Rauce

Ultra Member
They really should have had a hoist or something from the ceiling to lower stuff down. Seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

Another guy picking up some lots gave me a hand with my machine table that was in the loft. I set it at the edge, went down the ladder as far as I could and passed it to him. It’s probably 40lbs or so.

I’m actually not fond of ladders or heights. I fell off a ladder trying to follow my dad up to the roof as a kid and it stuck with me. Lately I’ve been working on my fears on the job…

670AFE7B-7EDE-47FF-AA57-59B21141889D.jpeg

They really should have had a hoist or something from the ceiling to lower stuff down. Seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

Another guy picking up some lots gave me a hand with my machine table that was in the loft. I set it at the edge, went down the ladder as far as I could and passed it to him. It’s probably 40lbs or so.

I’m actually not fond of ladders or heights. I fell off a ladder trying to follow my dad up to the roof as a kid and it stuck with me. Lately I’ve been working on my fears on the job…
I was told their original plan was to get stuff down from the loft with their fork lift but they ended up blocking access because they had too many lots in too little space. Hence I had to go back a second time once most lots had been removed and access was restored. In any case even with a fork lift getting stuff out was pretty sketchy. Not safe at all IMO.

What on earth do they have you doing at work so far up in the sky? Looks like your moniker should now be Skywalker!

Rauce

Ultra Member
Maintenance on a vertical bucket conveyor. This at a factory that makes cat litter. It’s a bit like a grain elevator, the raw material is brought up and into silos for storage and then later brought up again to be funnelled into the building to the packing lines.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hey Ian,
Did you see any smaller Rotary Tables on your travels to auctions ?
I could use a 6” Diameter unit.