• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Not sure I'll be quitting my day job

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Love the stove. Brings back memories of my great aunt/uncles house with a findley oval in the kitchen. I want to get one for our outdoor kitchen/patio.

Me too! My grandparents had a similar stove in the kitchen. I loved it then and still do. My bride and I are constantly watching Kijiji for one.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Back in 2010 we removed one from my buddies basement of his "new" house at the request of the insurance company, Tried selling it and he had a hard time even giving it away (didn't want to scrap it, it was too nice). One of the local hoarders took it, and I can guarantee is still in the same place we dropped it off. Shame I didn't have dreams of an outdoor kitchen back then.....I should knock on that door.....

I know where there's another one I can have for free too, but there is a lot of labour involved in getting it out. It's not high on my list of things to spend money on right now (still have a few more shop tools I need :D), and there's only so much disposable cash flying around (not much), that I'll wait until I have the patio done and ready for one to start thinking about it. This might be the year (same chances as the leafs winning the cup)

Stellrammer

Here is another I restored for a friend, not doing another, too much dirty work restoring the oven box and supports.
My aunt used theirs into the 70s, they moved it into the barn that housed the Mexican family of 14 that came up to harvest fruit and tomatoes annually.

Attachments

• 0F860DA4-0C0E-4B48-925F-57321835842C.jpeg
    0F860DA4-0C0E-4B48-925F-57321835842C.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 9

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have the wood stove (Findley I think) in our basement that my mother used to cook on for the first 6 yrs we lived on the farm 1958-63. It isnt hooked up to a chimney so just a decorative unit. Other than a broken leg from a mishap moving it out of the old house, it is still in "usable" condition. Its amazing that the hot water tank would still hold water if need be.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
It's from that book @David_R8 suggested

I think the trick was I folded the dough a bunch of times, seems to be something that came up a lot

Anyways

1.5c like warm water
1/2 tablespoon yeast
1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 c rye flour
2 1/4c all purpose flour

Folded it every half hr for and hr and a half, formed it up/folded it, restes for half an hour, baked at 450 for 30 min

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's from that book @David_R8 suggested

I think the trick was I folded the dough a bunch of times, seems to be something that came up a lot

What does folded mean? How do you do that?

Anyways

1.5c like warm water

I assume you meant "Luke" warm.....

1/2 tablespoon yeast

What kind of yeast?

1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt

What does kosher mean?

1/2 c rye flour
2 1/4c all purpose flour

Is this just any all-purpose or is special wheat like Durham?

Folded it every half hr for and hr and a half, formed it up/folded it, restes for half an hour, baked at 450 for 30 min

Does "restes" mean let it sit? And should it be covered under a cloth?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
What does folded mean? How do you do that?

folded on top of itself like a piece of paper, a couple times then back in the bowl to rest/rise more, something about building tension within the gluten, i guess it helps the bread hold it shape

I assume you meant "Luke" warm.....

luke warm, warm, cold, so long as its not "hot"

What kind of yeast?

recipe just says yeast, i used the "rapid" or "machine" yeast you commonly buy in the store, it comes in those little single serv packages or the little 5 ounce glass jar

What does kosher mean

...now i know you don't do the cooking :p its cooking salt, bigger grains, the box literally says "kosher salt" on it, im sure table salt would work as well, you may just want to use less due to the smaller grains adding up to more weight for the same volume

Is this just any all-purpose or is special wheat like Durham

none of the recipes i have found anywhere specify any kind of special all purpose flour, i used the no name superstore bag ive been working through for the last 5 years, so definitely nothing special

Does "restes" mean let it sit? And should it be covered under a cloth

sorry that was a cell phone autocorrect typo, rest is what i meant, you could say rise, yes covered with a cloth

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
now i know you don't do the cooking :p

Ya, I don't cook. I am the only guy who can burn water.

I might try making bread though. So I don't want to screw up not knowing what you meant.

The reason I ask about Durham Wheat is that I know that was what my grandmother used. She refused anything else.

Also, I am a farmer. There are all kinds of different wheats. They are very different. I'd bet big bucks that it affects the bread.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Ya, I don't cook. I am the only guy who can burn water.

I might try making bread though. So I don't want to screw up not knowing what you meant.

The reason I ask about Durham Wheat is that I know that was what my grandmother used. She refused anything else.

Also, I am a farmer. There are all kinds of different wheats. They are very different. I'd bet big bucks that it affects the bread.

Do you mean durum wheat?

There is also bread flour that is commonly available, it has a higher protein content, rises different, but then Canadian all purpose flour has more protein content than American all purpose...so out flour rises differently than American flour...at least that's what I've come across several times in my fall down the rabbit hole

I'm sure the type of wheat could make a difference, but what can you actually buy ground, I believe that's why most recipes call for readily available flours, and I don't know, all purpose flour may be whattever comes into the mill that day

The science of bread making is a huge rabbit hole, way deeper than I would have thought

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Do you mean durum wheat?

There is also bread flour that is commonly available, it has a higher protein content, rises different, but then Canadian all purpose flour has more protein content than American all purpose...so out flour rises differently than American flour...at least that's what I've come across several times in my fall down the rabbit hole

I'm sure the type of wheat could make a difference, but what can you actually buy ground, I believe that's why most recipes call for readily available flours, and I don't know, all purpose flour may be whattever comes into the mill that day

The science of bread making is a huge rabbit hole, way deeper than I would have thought
I’ve seen two antique working grist mills, one in Manitoba and one in Texas. And last year was treated to seeing how an old elevator worked, in Calgary, at the heritage place.

The Steinbach museum had a small plot of land they used to demonstrate working the older farm equipment on, I missed that part of it but still very cool to watch someone make flour

Learning old skills is fun :)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Wow 5 years for a bag of flour?! By the look of your loaf it looks like you get a lot more practice than that.

Well it's a 10kg bag and I'm at the end of it, there may be 1c left

Those are the only loaves (the 3 pictured) I've made since I was a child, that bag has all gone to pizza dough, cinnamon buns, Cookies and tortillas

YouTube is a good teacher ;) being able to watch people do it and say 'well I didn't do that' helps

Calgary, at the heritage place.

Heritage park ? I've only been there once, what an awesome place

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Heritage park ? I've only been there once, what an awesome place
Yep, very cool place, indeed.

I’m going to get these mixed up- Calgary has caves or something underground I’m supposed to check out? It was Calgary or Moose Jaw (I think)

Then there’s a steam train that takes you to an old west period village that’s supposedly a great way to spend part of a weekend, but I don’t remember if that was Moose Jaw or somewhere else

Someone on here will know