• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Not sure I'll be quitting my day job

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Early in our marriage, my wife and I baked bread regularly. Sometimes it just didn't proof right, and other times it was just fine. There was always a great laugh over the 'lesser ones' They are bread, just in a much more compact form!

I remember we made a perfectly fluffy loaf, perhaps after 5 years (slow learners), and there is nothing like a home made, fresh bread, hot from the oven!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
@Susquatch, I haven't actually seen the squirrels out in the last couple days, they actually may just be hiding away, I put a little plate of chunks right on one of there routes, so if I see them out there and they don't take them....I'll know for sure

the chunks I put out are from the first loaf that just didn't rise properly, i did try some before putting it out, edible, but for the cost of flour I just figured let them have it

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Sorry, no pics, but I've been fairly successful with no-knead bread recipes (especially rye bread) baked in a cast iron Dutch oven in the stove. Have a decent crust from the steam & a nice tooth. Great w/ just butter. Experimenting w/ some beer bread recipes, too.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Why not, Since we bastardized the OP thread, Who here cans?
I forgot how many jars we canned after 40 cases of 500ml

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Why not, Since we bastardized the OP thread,

I mean I'm not really one to complain about that :p

I'm not sure, maybe I need some kind of pan to keep the loaf from flattening out so much, but it doesn't really look like the store bought rye is, so I dunno

I did have some of it for toast this morning, and I'm still alive, and not hallucinating ( or so I think) so that's a win

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Why not, Since we bastardized the OP thread, Who here cans?
I forgot how many jars we canned after 40 cases of 500ml

It's sinful what we do.... I love it!

I don't cook but I can all the time!

All my wood screws are either canned or jarred. Once upon a time they were cased, but it's all just organized chaos now.....

Sorry, no pics, but I've been fairly successful with no-knead bread recipes (especially rye bread) baked in a cast iron Dutch oven in the stove. Have a decent crust from the steam & a nice tooth. Great w/ just butter.

My bride has been doing Dutch oven bread for a while now. Not really my favorite but not gunna feed it to the squirrels either. I can't cook so I mostly keep my criticism to a minimum. Besides, it really is awesome fresh or warmed up with butter. Not so much cold with my gourmet peanut butter jelly sandwiches.

What is bread "tooth"?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's the grain of the bread. Coarse, fine, bubble size. I like my breads coarser w/ a slightly larger bubble. More artisanal style, rather than plain white bread.

Thanks. I love learning new things.

Tom O

Ultra Member
There’s nothing better than fresh bread hot out of the oven smothered in butter!
Mom use to buy frozen bread dough just put it in the pan and let rise and bake.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Eating Squirrel leftovers wouldn't bother me a bit after working out of a camp in the NWT that the wolves wouldn't even eat the sandwiches we were provided with from the camps kitchen. It didnt mater if the meat was beef or bologna, it had a green tinge to it....mid summer so never got really dark & we could watch the wolves in the timber sniff the sandwich's and then wonder off. I would've killed for a slice of this rye bread!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@phaxtris - Thank you for not including any smoked bacon or ribeye steak or fried chicken or roasted turkey, or prime roast, or bbqd ribs in your photo.

Wish you left those skinny hairless hind paws out too.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Love the stove. Brings back memories of my great aunt/uncles house with a findley oval in the kitchen. I want to get one for our outdoor kitchen/patio.