• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Not sure I'll be quitting my day job

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Well it's another crappy snow day, so I figured I would try another "project" I've had on the books for a while...try to make rye bread

Well let's just say I'm not entering any bake sales, my wife had a good laugh, and it tastes like bread...although I'm not sure about getting it in the toaster.....ok I should go back to the garage for now I guess

IMG_20230305_164359_892.jpg IMG_20230305_165128_379.jpg

It did turn out better than my first attempt....I've put chunks out for the squirrels... although I'm not sure they will even eat it:p

IMG_20230305_170002_050.jpg

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Well it's another crappy snow day, so I figured I would try another "project" I've had on the books for a while...try to make rye bread

Well let's just say I'm not entering any bake sales, my wife had a good laugh, and it tastes like bread...although I'm not sure about getting it in the toaster.....ok I should go back to the garage for now I guess

View attachment 31677View attachment 31678

It did turn out better than my first attempt....I've put chunks out for the squirrels... although I'm not sure they will even eat it:p

View attachment 31680

Bottom line Ryan you tried that's what makes life so much fun. Better luck next time!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Perhaps one of my fondest memories of my home farm in Saskatchewan is the home-made bread. It was made weekly on bread day. Bread day was actually two days in a row to allow for overnight rising.

There is no better way to make bread than with Saskatchewan Durham Wheat.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
thanks guys, im gonna keep trying! just not today :) ill eat the "successful" loaf this week, maybe ill try again next sunday

Proxule

Ultra Member
I make and have made sourdough bread since I was a young-ling, Eastern European style with a sour dough starter.
I find it tastes the best vs. any other style. Hardy, fluffy, slightly sour and smells just right. Normally a very large and heavy loaf, Either in rye or rye / unbleached bread flour. Or straight flour. And freezes very well.

Keep at it. Adjust your recipe and in the end it'll be perfect!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
One day !

I ordered that book @David_R8 suggested, hopefully that will have some recipes and direction that will help the efforts :)

The squirrels still haven't touched the chunks of the first fail yet...it's to cold right...that's what I'm going with, lol

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got into bread making a couple of years ago. I knew I was building the wood fired oven so wanted to hammer out some good, reliable recipes. Unfortunately, I think I only had some french bread, once, that turned out as nice as @jcdammeyer 's ... most of my french loaves that were supposed to look like that turned out like @phaxtris (nothing against those ones, but the picture and actual were two different loaves!) The other recipes seemed hit and miss....awesome or awful, a lot of mediocre's.

I have a few recipes that are ok, but nothing that gives me confidence. Great for you Ryan for trying! Keep at it, and it sounds like your wife is like mine, humour is as good for the soul as a good loaf of bread. At least if you don't have one, you get the other when it comes to bread making.

Atta boy
Cheers,

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks yummy still.

One of the best core memories from my childhood is that everytime I walked into my grandmothers home she always had a fresh baked loaf of bread for me. Fresh warm bread and butter, mmmmmm, nothing better.

I did a bit of bread baking during the pandemic but apparently gaining 40 pounds in 2 years isn't healthy, so the bread had to go lol. Nowhere near master level, and had a lot of ugly looking loafs, but they all still taste good. I was trying to really get good at higher hydration level (60%+) breads like ciabatta etc. Chili/soup/stew in fresh baked bread bowls are one of my favourite things to make. I really miss bread :(

As for fitting it in the toaster. Get a double long slot toaster. We're on our 2nd one now, and I could never go back to normal sized slots. How are you supposed to fit in rye bread? Normal sized toasters are so limiting lol. We've had this one for about 7-8 years and I'd buy another.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oster-TSSTTR6...ocphy=9000728&hvtargid=pla-440331385104&psc=1

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It don' matter what it looks like...taste is the only judgment parameter that matters....if those squirrels turn their nose up send it to me, I'll eat it.

Contrary to the old adage about blind squirrels going hungry, the fact is that squirrels find their food primarily through an exquisite sense of smell. How else do they find nuts under 3 inches of dirt and two feet of snow?

If the squirrels don't want @phaxtris leftovers, then neither do I........