• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Not really a deal: Sharp 1440 Lathe, West Kootenays

Six O Two

(Marco)
$14,500.00
Not a lot of iron for sale in these parts but this one still feels about 50% overpriced, but what do I know.
I mean, I get that the owner paid $16k new only 2 years ago, but still...

330465264_6221328961219903_2989802012857654677_n.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow, there must be more to those the meets the eye? The ad says the now sell for $19000. That sort of mula opens alot of lathe possibilities.

Six O Two

(Marco)
Yeah, he's got the original paperwork as the ad's 2nd pic. Bought brand new straight from Sharp machine tools in North Van with all the usual stuff (dro, follow rests, drill, faceplate). But I don't think there's more to it than he paid a lot of money for it, hasn't used it much and wants to get as much back as possible...

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
You have to want/need a lathe of that size and likely would like to see a return on investment for it's use. As a hobby shop lathe at that price one has to perhaps have a last name like "musk" or "ford".

Chipper5783

I don’t think the price is out of line at $14.5k. He likely is prepared to move a bit, sort of a game to offer a bit less than asking - if you want 13.5, you have to ask higher. He certainly did not overpay in the first place - he went to the dealer with eyes wide open. I know plenty of guys that would pay 2x for a good sled, who will pay that much for a collector bottle of scotch - you name it, we all spend our money on goofy things.

Of late I’m buying at near scrap prices and spend months fixing. However my first lathe I picked up from a dealership at full price. If it were to suddenly be gone (some sort of magical poof), I’d seriously look at that Sharp. Price depends on want/need and availability - it will probably take a while to find a buyer, but it appears to be a nice product he is offering.

Downwindtracker2

Of course, it is Asian. I don't know about now, but back in the day, their stuff was pretty good. I remember them saying that they gave up selling drill presses because the columns were too flimsy.