• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Norton Sharpening Stone Oil in Calgary

Perry

Ultra Member
Not exactly a " deal" but a decent price if you are in Calgary.

For comparison , Amazon sells the 4.5 ounce for $29.99 (presently 17% off at @ $24.85) or they have a $86.78 for a gallon offer.

Lee Valley has the 4.5 ounce for $7.95 but not in stock in Calgary. (Good price, but not good if they don't have it. )

Here is a place I never would have thought to look. The Olympic Oval at the University of Calgary has a Skate shop and they sell the 4.5 ounce for $11.00 and 16 ounce (0.473L) for $18.00.

Sharpening_Oil_1024x1024_f5872971-c6d7-486d-ad25-2649e0cd3131_1024x1024.jpg

Perry

Ultra Member
I might have watched too many Clickspring videos and became envious of him always having the correct shape and type of stone on hand when he was doing his magic. So I bought an expensive set of Norton stones. Up until now I used 3 in 1 oil most of the time on my cheap stones. I figured with the cost of these stones I might as well get the branded expensive "mineral oil".

Just checking now the Shoppers Drug Mart Life brand 473mm $12.49

white.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 18-58-17 Sharpening Stones Catalog #200 2008.qxd - Catalog-Sharpening...png

Edit, So am I to understand you can drink mineral oil for constipation? Is mineral oil not a petroleum by product?

I might have watched too many Clickspring videos and became envious of him always having the correct shape and type of stone on hand when he was doing his magic. So I bought an expensive set of Norton stones. Up until now I used 3 in 1 oil most of the time on my cheap stones. I figured with the cost of these stones I might as well get the branded expensive "mineral oil".

Just checking now the Shoppers Drug Mart Life brand 473mm $12.49

white.jpg

View attachment 32697

Edit, So am I to understand you can drink mineral oil for constipation? Is mineral oil not a petroleum by product?

Perry

Ultra Member
Holy crap! Who would have known. lol I just googled it and it does say prepared from naturally occurring crude petroleum oil.

This gets me to thinking of when I was young. The aerosol containers of whipped cream said on the side "Edible oil product". Off to check google. Please don't tell me it's........

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy crap! Who would have known. lol I just googled it and it does say prepared from naturally occurring crude petroleum oil.

This gets me to thinking of when I was young. The aerosol containers of whipped cream said on the side "Edible oil product". Off to check google. Please don't tell me it's........

Keep in mind that petroleum is just the oil from plants and animals that died millions of years ago......... Its all really just a big circle.

Humans can make poison out of darn near anything and we can make cool stuff out of poison too.

Some day I predict we will fuel our cars with plantoline produced by plants that farmers grow instead of gasoline refined from crude oil. With any luck, we will eat the left over fibre and protein too.

Heck, we already use corn to make Ethanol to fuel our cars and feed the left over mash to pigs and cows that we eat a few months later.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Is it too late to change the title of this thread to Norton Sharting Oil?

I can do it for you if you want....

But frankly, it's funnier just the way it is with your comment to spike the joke!

I love the humour on here....

Very sharp minds make for great laughs!