• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Northern lights

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
If you happen to be somewhere in the dark tonight, step outside. It's wild
AMWts8BdnDSkqvg4_8p6kLNiLUg2OKOuzCQzljDaFtIp7Doz0aYrDLcclMT8N26nNQGFdZYF2zhu6S65aWsOizJZV7AouoRMVP2FGvyM7CjMRd1hgRn_H8hby0_bK8Gq66EV8QFQ6EKEaseRPyFcT_ka5Uar46IH3KRTuV8NyIzLA2DyCMISVBFwPcsvUIDzJhNrsjGBCb53l6EbeyA2e-pW7kFoVdL7QZQE107Ikid8q4n6UoE8S0AFq-i8AhgrEWFh5751-NswEjUgXMp00IozYMWl-c-zR-VVpVf3bLYuZp55A72G4DpO3dHkjCr2iJz-nNUR1ky4xIHWZEi9ReSUbZNSsCaayxM2ce_bSUhWWatpwkHzC6uswnLAyWI9UJOZh6wcHl1XyZk2f0pvAXrxHlgNx64Pph8mbcWedadtPlHMRmJLcr3h0lgvnPUielXul9NyA2fU37vfgig3xSH0_qSXpJLFOIEKUENXoqFSIJmec0Ar3trSONHylug8mcBi_1Pl34EoSr1Pz8bbrIOWvkhYuAQfe_NuGaiWYA6fCn8SKtfYRKktrqfTxCP8NC5emwb7nBy0b79KpDHblMFd5f07kvZjTho15NuXtfLHgR1jje54-Kflm_-tdEM2Jg1dLDxfuynS4sX5ilOHQxYj_V6Ye_vpKUgNn7UuVjl7iGm6K9aPQ6k6RHFIscto6mys4L_3pOXrxwW58J-7cJ5HJ2xWmaPE064ldbW_c0x5zyMcPHbdk-AFq0AzPWeXp2qxxQHnVocZ890oWUOvoZmUzYXocj1B5Ki5nzWcbuuKgfnDY8MxJ_4YENMjZO_bos5UVPy8g1lMG6Kz-jYPqiW-4hHkKGvAVTnug50oY8KzkrTI4j6Xo-gfvNc9ejcgTQzuILOIYISSk5Xkeo-jV7HUVhC2zlaKclEeztOtoHjqAMfKMymS3wMvPbnd8aHlY66yN8XBzB8P2LZVtKvayPVI8ZlHlxAxTiRMHR541QjkWvS5pOoGCKchSc00NKxiamb4ck3iZyM=w848-h636-no

AMWts8AaSc5fvzIS9HzFOSXZvosBJYZlsUcSV6P75Keh1WV190k651lTIIMoh6oYbOFdbjA8PqlQisclraNwPTLli7uEshwVXJB2GYoo4e-rkdZ48-D7P1kzfX6rBxcShs-F31WhGAgqhw6u75kAmRA-5LCpPSRZ-Ox-Wb2lpWXBQ0Ng9h4Sy7wiZSfUUEsT8PCmCBwyNp2U29IY7qBl1-lFMnoH9zkexTWn0lrXhuNQz1hHNX2miyzSEhQ5A6kFykZery50EtqeWcYk5321CCk_IyRs0lb5PYRramFnonnQDl5u7IkjN7vecwvIYndt9JX15GB_yL2m1AOHnm6sDBjZGx6iB38HcUK5xexxx35LBOg-z0qAA1G3ycEd-ThNp5No28TI2h9-H9SEg9f4I6wSKHekxo2Fsxgsxxdb48f5szuVby9gTHQeyuBvn0orXMcJPqEsVgOQvy1d6nCd_qKlgKk4bWNUrmUUBUSrbbA_cHiMA6wYRv2Y3BydZn9IynoQ-_-SAundHJgP7fLhIzbTWI3itVopFKLbb7IROuyREhCBIYHAAn2X5Q6YF2W2yAvFkXUsOCkrZvwFnnXOdFt126j1IjFWEiVRMEau9oslt9NSOLqFgwSkHBd1AngkJc49GxuDHweMXj0xTwJogeVAOUi4-ZaG51KQd-u_gXedvbcOMidxla7-QsWVWC_6XCJQwzbqu_wfixI7UW1Gr0-RtbkMo9s0pMwb9VjVjN3SK72OEeQ6kOhkbj7wNgde8ZTwINix_Xn0tD5yYJaSHLUz692mXnsQjmbiVg8SZrxJ4zKVw0KyehsrS7ZxhnXWklW9MywNrn8nWwxOugp1qmtQqxQRUzgZPIg2-DQol-UopPtKKU8ldNXZbqau1PDg3lF-rExlC0iz9_kOpNj4rUsNI00W1dGj1-5m9zY_JXbCgFEfc1Uj1BHQKXImCinLba3XeUH8nu8yMVlzTvutSr23bv59eyQNSPL7TGGSQr4YURUsr5idDt_mdSrDrNc88U8HliXe-y8=w848-h477-no

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I always feel so at home on this forum. So many like minded people. It's just amazing!

Very few northern lights to be seen in southern Ontario. But I get north quite often and always look for them. They were common on the home farm in Sask.

That said, the sky is fairly dark on my farm here in southern Ontario. Even with no aurora to watch, I can still enjoy the stars, the planets, and a few galaxies too. I have a nice telescope but lately I've been laying out on a reclining lawn chair and using ordinary binoculars. It's so relaxing and amazing to think that we are all made of star dust......

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I always feel so at home on this forum. So many like minded people. It's just amazing!

Very few northern lights to be seen in southern Ontario. But I get north quite often and always look for them. They were common on the home farm in Sask.

That said, the sky is fairly dark on my farm here in southern Ontario. Even with no aurora to watch, I can still enjoy the stars, the planets, and a few galaxies too. I have a nice telescope but lately I've been laying out on a reclining lawn chair and using ordinary binoculars. It's so relaxing and amazing to think that we are all made of star dust......
I need to buy a really good pair of binoculars for sky watching.

your method sounds much easier on the spinal stenosis in my neck then bending down to look thru a tube. My wife had such a hard time with the telescope I had to buy a celestron neximage colour imager to make it possible for her to view jupiter and its moons, and her fav object, the moon

One of my very first big DIY projects when I was a young lad was a homebuilt 6 inch reflecting telescope. I even ground my own 6 inch mirror. I had almost no tools and no money to work with and had to make up for it with ingenuity. It was a great success and probably why I have a workshop and why I love DIY to this day. That was about 55 years ago. The skies in Niagara were much darker then.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've seen a bunch of local photos of this last night, but I missed it. I remember seeing them in Northbay as a kid, but never again. Figures, I pick one day out of the past month to head to bed early lol.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've seen a bunch of local photos of this last night, but I missed it. I remember seeing them in Northbay as a kid, but never again. Figures, I pick one day out of the past month to head to bed early lol.

It was ever thus. Or cloudy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I even ground my own 6 inch mirror. I had almost no tools and no money to work with and had to make up for it with ingenuity. It was a great success and probably why I have a workshop and why I love DIY to this day.

Hey! I always wanted to do that too! But I never did. Kudos to you for actually doing it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
view jupiter and its moons, and her fav object, the moon

The moon is sadly overlooked far too often. But seeing the shadows of its mountains creep across its landscape is nothing short of mesmerizing. I don't blame her for loving the moon. A good set of binoculars is all you really need. I'm sure you already know what a good set looks like but if not feel free to ask.

FWIW, I also like to use a green laser. That way I can point things out to others and I don't have to give them star to star jumping instructions.

My own favorite dark sky object is Andromeda. For those who know where and how to look, it's the furthest thing the naked eye can see. And sooooo totally amazing! When we look at Andromeda, we are seeing it as it was 2.5 million years ago when the very first hominids began to stand upright and walk the earth.

Despite checking out the night sky on a regular basis in my roughly 70 years of living in South Ontario I've only ever seen two really awesome displays of Northern Lights. On one occasion they seemed to form a dome over head and turned red and I could hear them making a tinkling sound.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have seen them in Northern Manitoba a few times. One night in Winnipeg when I was about 14 they were just incredible so many colors the entire sky was just swirling for many hours it was magical.

trevj

Ultra Member
Among the few things that I miss about living in the big flat, east of the Rockies!

Nothing like a late night drive home, and realizing that the light in the rear view mirror, is the Northern Lights!

Easy trade for nicer winters, and a Mountain view, though! :) And four actual seasons, instead of just Cold, and Bugs!