• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Non-square tool blank--Shaper?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I picked up a few more tool blanks last week and one of them is not like the others!

nonSquare blank IMG_4804.jpg

I think every other tool blank I've seen (except partings tools, obviously) has had a square profile. This one is 1/4 by 1/2 inches. Typical length of just over 4 inches although the ends are cut square where many tool blanks are cut on a slight angle.

Any ideas what this might have been intended for? My WAG is that it might be for a small-ish shaper. It could be ground with a bit of relief to take a chip nearly the full 1/4" width (big stepover) to speed up rough surfacing.

BTW, Stellite is not high speed steel. It is a cast alloy. Deloro is a town a bit east of Peterborough in Ontario. Cast alloy tools are more durable than HSS so you can run them roughly twice as fast as HSS. The quick way to identify cast alloy blanks is that they are non-magnetic.

Craig

Attachments

• nonSquare blank dimensions IMG_4806.jpg
    nonSquare blank dimensions IMG_4806.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 2

trevj

Ultra Member
I use a lot of that shape of blank for grinding internal threading and boring, and internal grooving tools. Mostly 1/4 by 3/8 inch blanks but have used larger ones.

The non-square tool blanks are not uncommon.

Stellrammer

That brings up some memories, IIRC it was considered an alternative when carbide could not be used for some tooling. The local Tool & Cutter grinding shop did not like working with it, they charged a premium as they used different abrasives for it, and was slow going. Considered pretty exotic for its day.
Is it still used as valve seat material?

Last edited:

Rauce

Ultra Member
Stellite is also used as a wear resistant layer on the leading edge of steam turbine blades. Either welded build up or strips brazed on.