• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Next Vancouver Island Meet-Up (Planning Thread)

For those who took home copies of the "Projects in Metal", if you're done with the issue please bring it to the meeting so others can have a read. I have the issue with a "Curved Spoke Flywheel", I scanned the article so I will be bringing that issue back to the meeting.
Thanks to @BenoitL for bringing the issues.

So... any thoughts or suggestions on what we can do for this next meet-up on Oct 12th? (I'm thinking/planning on 3-5pm again)

Should we stick with the same format and make it a sharing/bs/show & tell time?

I am happy to just host the space and time together, but if there is something specific that is desired, then let me know!

Anyone want to do a presentation on something they are working on or especially knowledgeable about?

So... any thoughts or suggestions on what we can do for this next meet-up on Oct 12th? (I'm thinking/planning on 3-5pm again)

Should we stick with the same format and make it a sharing/bs/show & tell time?

I am happy to just host the space and time together, but if there is something specific that is desired, then let me know!

Anyone want to do a presentation on something they are working on or especially knowledgeable about?
If it would be of interest... I could do a deep dive into abrasive materials and backings - likely focusing on sanding belt materials.

That being a long weekend I likely have family things happening and not be able to make it, but in general and speaking strictly for myself, I always love to get more educated about anything - abrasive materials and backings, sanding belt materials - you name it.

I find the most challenging thing about metal working is often work holding. Perhaps we could bring some examples of unique work holding solutions we have come up with. Seeing something some else has done, even if I don’t have something identical to hold, is helpful in coming up with a good way to hold what I need to work with.

I find the most challenging thing about metal working is often work holding. Perhaps we could bring some examples of unique work holding solutions we have come up with. Seeing something some else has done, even if I don’t have something identical to hold, is helpful in coming up with a good way to hold what I need to work with.
Great idea Tom!

OMG I'm just working on that very scenario with one of the parts for the Robot Arm. Do I tell it to make tabs and then I can hold the piece in the vise for everything. Or do I drill some holes in key places and bolt it down onto MDF which will get wet from coolant. Or a scrap piece of Al. Don't want to carve up my mill table.

OMG I'm just working on that very scenario with one of the parts for the Robot Arm. Do I tell it to make tabs and then I can hold the piece in the vise for everything. Or do I drill some holes in key places and bolt it down onto MDF which will get wet from coolant. Or a scrap piece of Al. Don't want to carve up my mill table.
Can you bolt it down to a chunk of aluminum?
<hijackoff/>

Back