• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Welder

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
Well I blame This Old Tony for making me purchase a TIG welder. After looking around, I wanted a TIG/stick/plasma since I already have a MIG welder. Eventually I found this Everlast PowerPro 256Si for a fair price on Amazon.ca shipping from Canada prime. Unfortunately they were out of stock. I placed the order anyway and waited for a week with no results, so I called Everlast in Ontario and eventually cancelled the amazon order and purchased directly. Unit comes with a air dryer, Argon regulator, water cooled TIG torch, plasma torch, stick holder, nice pedal for TIG. This is way more welder than I needed, but it does AC/DC TIG for welding aluminum, which is something I can see myself doing. I ordered a cheap aircooled TIG torch so I can work with it until such time I build a water cooler. Already have a coil from a camper air conditioner. One bad thing is the water quick connects are some kind of air type QC that's considerably smaller. I'm not sure where to source the female ends and of course I need a single male end for the air cooled torch I purchased. The cart is a crap powerfister with lousy wheels. I can see replacing those pretty quick. One other thing I don't like is that the gas inlet, is right in the middle of the welder. right in the way of the gas cylinder. stupid design flaw.

Attachments

• IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
So I finally finished my air and argon input to the welder. The three way valve switches between the 2 without having to rewire everything.
Second air filter to clean my dirty air. along with pressure gauge. I bought a gauge, but it has the wrong size so once again, back to princess auto.

IMG_0743.jpg

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
Well, I've now got everything hooked up. 8/3 electrical cable is a bitch to work with. But I now have a 40amp circuit breaker and plugin hooked up and the welder is live. turns on and everything. still can't use the tig though. Need some special quick connecters which I think I finally found on aliexpress and amazon. Thank you prime shipping, I should have an answer on wednesday.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GDL8FM1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re the 8/3 is this like a plastic molded cable you ran inside your walls or do you mean you pulled individual wires through an external mounted conduit or something?
What kind of wall plug did you select or did one come with the welder?
How much was shipping from Ontario if you dont mind me asking?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So I finally finished my air and argon input to the welder. The three way valve switches between the 2 without having to rewire everything.
Second air filter to clean my dirty air. along with pressure gauge. I bought a gauge, but it has the wrong size so once again, back to princess auto.

View attachment 5986
Interesting valve. I have the smaller version of that welder - the 160 I think. I'm using some air tool quick connects to solve the same problem air vs argon inlet switching problem. Where did you get that valve and what kind is it? - good idea.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
8/3 plastic coated. I run my power on top, so it's easy to get at it. I only ran it about 24" from the panel so no worries. I bought a Cooper 40/50amp plug and of course a 40amp breaker.. the shipping was pretty good via fedex at a flat $100. Here's a link to the valve I bought. I can't claim credit for the idea, I seen this on a welding forum. It'll be nice though, since I can now select from air/argon on the flip of a handle.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07413N7X5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
That looks like a nice welder, not that i know much about welders. I did not know you could get them with the plasma cutter built in. I may have to figure out how to fit one of those into my already packed garage. I ran 8/3 NMD (plastic wrapped outer jacket) from my basement panel to my garage, through the installed t-bar ceiling, out into a conduit and ran it surface along the wall inside the garage. Ya, it can be fun stuff to maneuver. I sure would not want to do that with larger cable.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Colten,

I have the Everlast MTS 211si : Mig/Tig and stick. Seems to work very well in all three applications. I am learning Tig, so I have really nothing to compare it to. The 211 does not have the AC wave form so no aluminium that way but I have a spool gun and it works surprisingly well in that mode.

I was looking into getting a quick connect for the gas feed into the machine as I move the unit around and have to hook up and disconnect the bottles all the time. Have you any experience with gas connections for the argon/argon-co2 ? Was thinking of using a Tig torch gas quick connect?

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Conne...words=tig+quick+connect&qid=1569689450&sr=8-1

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
Those are the same connectors as my water cooled torch.. they come in 8mm and 10mm sizes. My water cooler which is a modified cooler from a CO2 laser, uses 3/8 or 10mm hose. I was able to tighten down the hose enough on the 8mm fittings that it doesn't leak. I do however have 10mm connectors coming from china. I believe I'll move them to the front panel on the cooler to make it easier. My Everlast has the same fittings on the front though for gas. They appear to work very well. No leaking water all over the place so should do the same for gas.

RickD

Well I blame This Old Tony for making me purchase a TIG welder. After looking around, I wanted a TIG/stick/plasma since I already have a MIG welder. Eventually I found this Everlast PowerPro 256Si for a fair price on Amazon.ca shipping from Canada prime. Unfortunately they were out of stock. I placed the order anyway and waited for a week with no results, so I called Everlast in Ontario and eventually cancelled the amazon order and purchased directly. Unit comes with a air dryer, Argon regulator, water cooled TIG torch, plasma torch, stick holder, nice pedal for TIG. This is way more welder than I needed, but it does AC/DC TIG for welding aluminum, which is something I can see myself doing. I ordered a cheap aircooled TIG torch so I can work with it until such time I build a water cooler. Already have a coil from a camper air conditioner. One bad thing is the water quick connects are some kind of air type QC that's considerably smaller. I'm not sure where to source the female ends and of course I need a single male end for the air cooled torch I purchased. The cart is a crap powerfister with lousy wheels. I can see replacing those pretty quick. One other thing I don't like is that the gas inlet, is right in the middle of the welder. right in the way of the gas cylinder. stupid design flaw.

Now that you've had your Everlast for a bit, what's your verdict? Are you satisfied with the machine overall? My son has an Everlast and recommends that I get one because of the size, versatility and price.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I had mine for around 4 years now or so. So far so good. The brand is at the top of quality "Made in China" welders. For home shop use they are excellent value.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
I'm not a welder by any means, but so far so good. I regret the choice in argon tank I purchased as I can use that up in a real hurry on a weekend. I've only used the plasma once and it worked really well. And tig welded a bunch of stuff for work which I could have stick or mig welded, but thought I'd get some practice instead. the plasma function convinced me to start building a cnc plasma table. So much todo and so little time.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I’m going to go for a 110 tank for my TIG.
@Colten Edwards what size tank did buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnnyTK

We can only get the "Q" bottles here from TSC or you have to drive a 2 hour round trip. Use to have a depot but when all the manufacturing closed so did they.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
I bought a "55" size tank. 2ft tall tank. and you go through gas quick with it. trying to figure out how to get a larger tank without having to drive to alberta to do it.