New (to me) surface grinder

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thanks for that link Squatch, I need to order a few, but didn't even think to check amazon for them. Need to figure out what style mine is tonight.

I'm still waiting on an order of grinding wheels and assorted lubricants from KBC from two weeks ago. Fedex returned the package back to KBC for some reason, and nobody there can figure out why, nor how to simply attached another shipping label and send it out again. Becoming a frustrating experience........The worst part is that the oils have since gone on sale, and there is $15 on the table right now, while they figure out to do with a box full of stuff sitting on a warehouse shelf that may, or may not be damaged. He couldn't tell me. I only wrote that as a cautionary tale to consider ordering from somewhere else if you need something in order to use your new grinder, and would like it in under 2 weeks....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I only wrote that as a cautionary tale to consider ordering from somewhere else if you need something in order to use your new grinder, and would like it in under 2 weeks....

Oddly, you can get it from McMaster Carr in the USA..... THE VERY NEXT Day!

I have no idea how they do that!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Oddly, you can get it from McMaster Carr in the USA..... THE VERY NEXT Day!

I have no idea how they do that!
Yeah, it's what I get for trying to support a Canadian business that wants my money. I order from Mcmaster frequently. You sometimes pay a premium for that next day delivery. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. In this case I thought ordering on a friday, and with paying $48 to fedex It would be reasonable that I would have my items by the following weekend so I could use them. I guess not. IMO this is a Fedex issue, NOT a KBC one, but we'll see how they handle it.

van123d

If machines could tell stories.......

I'd love to hear the back story on how those grooves got ground into the table. Somebody took too long of a smoke break with autofeed? Sure, once maybe, but twice? "you might not be good, but at least you're consistent" lol.

Ya I have been wondering the same thing. Especially considering how deep it is I almost wonder if it was deliberate? made some sort of repetitive task easier? I would love to know what happened there.

The pin wrench I have but not the removal tool. Like every machine we acquire, the machine is just the excuse to buy more tooling. I haven't even began cleaning it yet, I am trying to push and get the lathe finished before I start working on another project. Will soon be looking at the balancing rings, sine plate, transfer blocks...

jorogi

Ya I have been wondering the same thing. Especially considering how deep it is I almost wonder if it was deliberate? made some sort of repetitive task easier? I would love to know what happened there.

The pin wrench I have but not the removal tool. Like every machine we acquire, the machine is just the excuse to buy more tooling. I haven't even began cleaning it yet, I am trying to push and get the lathe finished before I start working on another project. Will soon be looking at the balancing rings, sine plate, transfer blocks...
Just make the removal tool while you wait for your bits to show up. They're simple enough. A pin wrench and removal tool were the first projects after getting my grinder home.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I need to make a pin wrench and hub too also. I made a hub nut remover out of a chunk of 1/2" pipe by milling the sides away, and use a pipe wrench. It was a simple quick and dirty tool, and I plan to make a nicer one, but needed something right away. For the pin wrench you can use the old needle nose, and channel locks turned around backwards trick until you can make something better. I have an adjustable pin wrench like shown above, but it broke upon first contact lol. So I resorted to the old hack just to get the arbor off....

KBC rectified my situation yesterday, shortly after I posted about it (who's watching....?), and the package just arrived about 5 minutes ago. Sale price was adjusted for the oils too, so a minor inconvenience turned into some saved money in the long run. KBC done good rectifying the situation created by fedex, and for once fedex actually found my house. My grinder cleanup will begin this weekend.