New (to me) surface grinder

van123d

Well I decided to take a chance on a surface grinder at Auction. It looks in decent condition in the photos, already 220V, and only 10min away from me. Hopefully I got a good deal on it assuming no major problems with it.

https://sunrise.nextlot.com/auctions/1586150/lots/25216451

Now I just need to figure out how to move it. Is anyone familiar with this model? Are there known lifting locations? I am searching for the correct manual currently still. I have seen the advice to remove the table first which I plan to do. I am hoping the loader will be on site still when I go pick it up and can use that to lift it onto the trailer there there is a good way to sling/lift it. Otherwise I guess the best way is a sling around the base and use the come-along to winch it up the ramps onto the trailer?

If anyone has recommendations on best practices let me know. As I learned when picking up my lathe several months back, drop deck trailer rentals are not an option around here.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Thanks!

I don't know the model, but for most SGs, the table is loose and just lifts off. You usually have to disconnect the cable at both ends off the table. If it has rollers, they need to be stored in a freezer baggie so they don't get banged up in transit. With rollers, store the plastic separators separately and transport with some care.

If the table doesn't lift off go underneath the table all the way to that side, and check there are dovetail ways. If Dovetail, then lock the table from rocking back and forth. Without pumped oils, this can score the ways if there is a little dirt on them and they move back and forth in transit (as in stopping and starting)...

Nice buy! I hope it serves you well!

van123d

Ya I have been going through the Vintage Machinery manuals trying to find the right one. Found like a product/marketing guide but not the manual.

Found the manual here through random search but it is a poor scan quality.

From that manual though there is a cross section of the table/ways. Confirmed it is just sitting on top. Doesn’t look like rollers though. Floating on oil.

IMG_5308.jpeg

It says to lift it, use two pipes. One under each side of the upper part of the base where it flares out. Then sling the pipes. That’s doable and good piece of mind knowing that it is safe to lift from there. All this assuming I can use equipment there to load.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@van123d the diagarmme you have won't answer the question "does it have rollers?" you have to look underneath and check there is zero clearance between the ways. The diagramme you have suggests you can disconnect the cables and lift off the table - a preferred method to transport the grinder in any event. Slather the exposed ways in some form pof protectant - spray, grease, etc, then clean it thoroughly when you get it home!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Confirmed it is just sitting on top. Doesn’t look like rollers though. Floating on oil.

Mine does not glide on rollers, it glides on oil like yours appears to. However, there are 8 rollers sitting in cavities along the ways. Their purpose is to roll along inside oil wells and transfer oil to the upper ways as the ways glide over them. They don't support any weight. As @Dabbler suggests, and assuming you have them, your drawing cross section isn't at the right place to show them.

If you do have them, it is important to lift the table straight up and straight down to avoid deforming the wheels. Mine were deformed. But I was lucky to be able to get replacements inexpensively.

van123d

Thanks guys.
The move is tomorrow morning. The table will be removed. I ended up hiring a local company to do the move. The price was very reasonable as it is all local and more importantly none of my friends could get the time off work on short notice to help. I was not looking forward to running back and forth on my own between the come along and the grinder to move rollers and check that everything is going well.

I am going early before they arrive to pull the table and siphon the hydraulic fluid out of the base.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

van123d

So move is done and shop is reorganized a bit now with the grinder in roughly what should be it’s living space for now.

The move went well. I got there early and pumped out all of the old hydraulic fluid so it wouldn’t spill everywhere when it moved. I picked up a siphon pump at Canadian tire for this purpose and it worked well but was a surprising amount of work. I suspect this pump was meant for thinner liquids.

IMG_5310.jpeg
Tough to see from the photo but there is no hydraulic tank. The machine base is the reservoir so it is just open and full of fluid. I pumped about 9 gallons out and still some in there. Probably holds 10
gallons.

I lifted the table off without issue, two clips at either side where it connects to the ram and off it came. To answer the question we were all wondering, no rollers.

The movers came and winched it onto the truck in just a few minutes. No pictures of the process but here is it loaded. IMG_5311.jpeg

Unloading was similarly painless. Dropped onto my machinery skates in the shop so I could move it around. IMG_5312.jpeg

Don’t mind the strap over the ram. It was just the loose end looped over for a few minutes so I wouldn’t run over it with the skates in the shop.

IMG_5313.jpeg

Ways look ok. No major scrapes or gouges.

IMG_5314.jpeg

It came with a box of stones as well. I will need to do some research into the different wheel types and their uses. This is my first surface grinder.

Happy it’s done with. I am hoping to just clean it and start using it. I said the same thing when I bought my 10ee last fall though and I am 6 months into a major disassembly, clean, paint, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. and still probably a month or two before I will be finished. I will eventually want to do the same to this but I am hoping to avoid another large project for a bit and catch up on some other work.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Looks in good shape. congrats! I found that Spray 9 worked really well for getting the crud off my grinder. it was worse than yours when I got it. Would be nice to see pics of your table and any accessories you got as well!

van123d

Very Nice!! Nice 140 as well.
Thanks. It doesn’t see much use. Mostly just for cultivating and side dressing the sweet corn in the garden. It was the wife’s grandfathers though so it is not going anywhere.

Here is the table:
IMG_5356.jpeg

It has an eclipse mag chuck on it
IMG_5357.jpeg

As you can see there are two v-grooves ground into it. Hopefully they won’t cause me much issue in the future.

There were no additional accessories included. Just the wheels and a diamond dresser.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
If machines could tell stories.......

I'd love to hear the back story on how those grooves got ground into the table. Somebody took too long of a smoke break with autofeed? Sure, once maybe, but twice? "you might not be good, but at least you're consistent" lol.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There were no additional accessories included. Just the wheels and a diamond dresser.

I hope those grooves don't matter too. They look pretty deep.

You will need to buy or make a Pin Wrench and an arbour install/remove tool.

20240312_101651.jpg

20240312_101541.jpg

You prolly also need to make or buy a few arbours. HHIP used to have a fairly good price on Amazon, but this one is outrageous. Grinder arbour prices seem to bounce all over the map. When you find a good price buy 3. It's that or make them. If you do make them, you could prolly integrate the balance ring.

You should also make a balancer like mine or @thestelster. I referenced his in my first post. Makes it easy to find both. In my opinion, the main difference is the stock you have. He had plate, I had bar.