• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New to me Starrett 196 indicator

John Conroy

Premium Member
I seem to be collecting a few indicators lately. I used Starrett 196 indicators in my work for years. The design is well over 100 years old and they are dead simple and rugged. Although not as accurate as modern DTI type indicators .001" resolution is good enough for most jobs. I really like the wide contact tips that make it possible to run it over gaps like mill table t-slots when tramming. I found this one on Kijiji for $55 and it is just like new. I took the indicator apart to do a routine cleaning and it was spotless inside. The transfer lever arrangement is handy for measuring runout in small holes such as automotive clutch pilot bushings. Anyway for $55 I thought it was a good deal.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey was that set down east? I tried to buy a set just like that of kijiji also but missed it and other stuff the seller had.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I managed to buy a set like that last year in case I ever had to indicate in deeper ID holes... This is a very classy outfit. Nice deal, too