• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New to me 6" X 48" belt sander/ 9" disc sander

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think we talked about capacitors and the inability to truly test them without load & thus its just simpler to buy a brand new one of the same type and see what happens.

Motor is 1.5hp. Unfortunate it is the same motor (just painted green by manufacturer - General) - https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-industrial-heavy-duty-belt-and-disc-sander-118951

Thus the motor has extra cast parts to accommodate the sand belt and the disc. The disc is somewhat easy as it is just a shaft but the belt is touch harder. This design is same as in a grinder where motor sits between two spinning grind wheels. If it was a belt driven design I probably would have already just replaced the motor with something else.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think we talked about capacitors and the inability to truly test them without load & thus its just simpler to buy a brand new one of the same type and see what happens.

Motor is 1.5hp. Unfortunate it is the same motor (just painted green by manufacturer - General) - https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-industrial-heavy-duty-belt-and-disc-sander-118951

Thus the motor has extra cast parts to accommodate the sand belt and the disc. The disc is somewhat easy as it is just a shaft but the belt is touch harder. This design is same as in a grinder where motor sits between two spinning grind wheels. If it was a belt driven design I probably would have already just replaced the motor with something else.

Gotcha. I should have read your original post better. I was going to give you my new motor but I think it is just a 1/4 HP furnace fan replacement motor with a common shaft for pulley. Hopefully the new cap solves your problem. Best of luck.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It may not be the start capacitor. It could be the centrifugal switch mechanism that engages/disengages the start cap circuit. If the start cap is left 'on' for extended duration it can/will degrade the cap & ultimately end with magic smoke show.