• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New Rockshaft for my tractor

Thomas

Been awhile since I posted anything but work and life have severely limited my screen time this year. I traded my ATV for a nice little Ford 1110 tractor and while it needed some work it was far more useful to me than the 2009 Kawasaki brute force that I only managed to rack up 1200km in 12 years. Anyway I thought finding parts wouldn't be a problem but it turns out these tractors are orphans and the one part that breaks on all of them is the rockshaft for the three point hitch lift. I decided to build it myself and went with 4340, my little 9" Utilathe actually did a half decent job turning it but I couldn't take more than a 0.020" cut at a time. Now my next step is cutting the splines, I have access to a dividing head and milling machine at work but need to order a cutting tool and from what I can figure I have a metric involute spline. 20221109_190744.jpg 20221110_163521.jpg 20221110_172636.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Are you going to harden + temper it once you cut the splines ?

If you can't find the right cutter online you could always sharpen the profile on an hss blank and fly cut the threads

Thomas

The original shaft is softer than the 4340 I turned the new one out of and I don't plan on using it to lift for more that a 400lb box scarper to level out my driveway so I think I will leave it as is. I'm going Frank Fales tomorrow to see about a cutter, they supply our machine shop if their sales guy Neil can find it then it doesn't exist.

Proxule

Ultra Member
43xx stuff machines amazing with some carbide!
It has some thing like 100K tensile steenght!
Is yours annealed version?

Nice work!

Thomas

43xx stuff machines amazing with some carbide!
It has some thing like 100K tensile steenght!
Is yours annealed version?

Nice work!
Don't believe it was annealed, I had to knock the mill scale off it with a grinder before I could cut it with HSS, and it near fried a blade on my portable band saw cutting a 1.5" piece of it.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Don't believe it was annealed, I had to knock the mill scale off it with a grinder before I could cut it with HSS, and it near fried a blade on my portable band saw cutting a 1.5" piece of it.
If it is not annealed at least somewhat, I don't thing you'll be able to flycut it with hss without constant resharpening at the very least.