New opportunity at a Makerspace

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I followed a lead from a 3D printing page on January 1 and ended up at a resource that I never knew existed. On Tuesday I followed up. It is a Makespace located in Windsor. They just purchased a brand new 4 x 8 CNC router from the same manufacturer as my own. They also purchased a laser engraver and 2 Prusa 3D printers. I set up a meeting and they know absolutely nothing about how to operate this machine. I will be joining their group on Saturday, which gives you 24 hour access to the shop and equipment. Also, I may be appointed as the trainer of courses related to the Router, programming, Designing, and other things as it comes up. They currently have 30 members, but hope to grow to 50 to cover their new additional cost of the move down to the first floor. I have included links to them, and what equipment they just purchased with a grant from GC.

and equipment just purchased

Attachments

• C2-48-LT.PNG
    C2-48-LT.PNG
    877.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Mira laser.PNG
    Mira laser.PNG
    822.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Prusas.PNG
    Prusas.PNG
    868.5 KB · Views: 10

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmmmmm....... That's within striking range for me.......

Please let us know how it goes.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice, Congrats. I wish there was a space like that close to me that had a laser cutter, plasma table, and big flatbed router. I would join in a heartbeat to have access to those tools, because I can't fit them in my shop.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That must be a well funded makerspace!

Prolly some of your taxes supporting the battery plant for e-cars with training....... Anything even remotely resembling technical training got handouts. That's as much as I'll say without getting into politics.

That's as much as I'll say without getting into politics.
..... Fair enough. As an engineer though, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the training requirements for the use of publicly funded e-scooters at the Vatican :rolleyes:

...... "whistles to one's self, all the whilst stirring a big pot of puppy poo":oops::p....... Someone got a couch emoji I can hide behind?:rolleyes:

gerritv

Gerrit
Prolly some of your taxes supporting the battery plant for e-cars with training....... Anything even remotely resembling technical training got handouts. That's as much as I'll say without getting into politics.
we complain that there is no support for trades, government does something, we complain that our taxes are being used for training.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
we complain that there is no support for trades, government does something, we complain that our taxes are being used for training.

That discussion is more complicated and prolly gunna take us over the edge. But I have personal experience that I'd be happy to discuss with you by PM.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As an engineer though, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the training requirements for the use of publicly funded e-scooters at the Vatican

Who needs an engineering degree to have an opinion on that? LMAO!

..... Fair enough. As an engineer though, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the training requirements for the use of publicly funded e-scooters at the Vatican :rolleyes:

...... "whistles to one's self, all the whilst stirring a big pot of puppy poo":oops::p....... Someone got a couch emoji I can hide behind?:rolleyes:
All I can think of is the e-scooter fire on the TTC recently and Burn in Hell as the theme.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I found out more today because of this article. The guy on the far right wants me to do a scan tomorrow, for picture frame material. Also, besides this.. he talked about scanning all the faces of the members... And upon looking Steve up, I found he is highly involved with theater arts here in Windsor and so they might be making a lot of props.. Going in tomorrow to join and do the sample scan.

Attachments

• BIZ X MAGAZINE.PNG
    BIZ X MAGAZINE.PNG
    476 KB · Views: 16

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I bought 6 months worth today. They are about 1 month out from having the grand opening. I found out the laser is the Mira 7, which is a 60 watt diode... They have also gotten a lathe and milling machine donated to them. I will be a part of helping lay out the machine shop. Got my keycard and email all set up...

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Version 1 of floor plan. Next step is moving router to location, and leveling it. Then going from there and meetings.

Attachments

• FLOOR-1.PNG
    FLOOR-1.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 9

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Here we turn it into 3D,, tomorrow more measurements. Not sure why someone got angry .. I won't mention any names.

Attachments

• Floor-3D-1.PNG
    Floor-3D-1.PNG
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • FLOOR-ALL.PNG
    FLOOR-ALL.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 13

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Time to manufacture...

I am preparing the spoilboard. I will require 2 sheets of MDF, threaded inserts, 30 5/16-18 x 7/8 BHCS and custom made T-nuts. I am starting the print of 36 T-nuts now (30 hour print). I put the thread cut into the print, and will chase it with a tap. Tomorrow I have to go get a new doggo up north, so the print will be done after I get home.

Attachments

• router-spoilboard-01.JPG
    router-spoilboard-01.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 15
  • router-spoilboard-02.JPG
    router-spoilboard-02.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Kalisha-9-weeks-5.jpg
    Kalisha-9-weeks-5.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 15