• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New Milling Machine - Craftex CX-601

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Probably time to start a thread on this rather than continuing in my WTB thread as my adventures in milling begin.

I picked up a used CX-601 with stand for $3000 in quite good condition a couple weeks ago:

PXL_20220619_212024599.jpg

I haven't really done much on it yet, other than a couple test cuts with a 1/2" end mill in aluminum, can be seen here:

Seems to work pretty well. I am going to do a full walkthrough video on bringing it home and through the features, so watch for that coming soon.

I've picked up a bunch of the usual accessories for it already, a 5" vise, collets, end mills, parallels, v blocks, edge finder, keyless drill chuck, clamp down kit, etc. but am sure I'll pick up more as I do new things.

I do want a couple other big upgrades though, namely a power feed for the X axis and probably more importantly a DRO. Anyone have suggestions on what to get for each of those?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I also got my dro and powerfeed from ali, do some shopping around, most of them are the same but the prices vary widely (mainly in the shipping)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@SomeGuy - Go to "www.dropros.com" in the USA and read some of their material and watch a few install videos. They want to sell you one and they are very compelling but they are $. I just can't afford their ask. You may feel differently. After reviewing what they have, come back here and ask more questions. I'd be happy to explain my thinking.

Then decide what you want. Optical vs magnetic, resolution, rpm, etc. I decided to get a Ditron magnetic 1 micron 4 axis Slim Scales with rpm direct from the Ditron store on Ali. Lots of other members have a Ditron and they like it. Got it for the same price as 3 Axis Optical no rpm with free shipping. Just have to haggle with them. They are based out of Shenzhen (the haggle capital of China) so they are well practiced at haggling. Take your time, be patient, and ask a lot of questions. Good prices will come. The more patient and less urgent you are, the sharper their pencil will get. I am thrilled with what I got. Much happier than I ever imagined I would be.

If you watch Ali and do frequent searches (eg "3 Axis DRO" ), the system seems to recognize your interest and then at some point starts sending you deals. If you are patient those deals get REALLY attractive. When you finally reach out, the sellers seem to know that you are fickle so they offer even better deals. I started out with a chat on a 3-axis system which morphed into a 4 axis 1 micron magnetic scale "slim" system with rpm for the same low price. I just kept asking questions like "what's the difference between 3 and 4 axis", "does the Readout box support more axis than the 3 axis", "does the Readout support different scale technologies", "how big are the different scales", etc etc. Sooner or later they get tired of answering questions and start trying to sell you. Be prepared to "chat" for a few weeks because of the time and language difference. You will be called "dear, sweetheart, love, handsome, etc.". I think they all attend an internet sales course. I received what I expected with free Purolator shipping in a very short time.

Here is a link to my install:

Thread 'Installing a DRO on a Hartford Bridgeport Clone.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/installing-a-dro-on-a-hartford-bridgeport-clone.4852/

Considering DRO, consider CNC.

DRO

Gives accurate location even if your machine has significant backlash
Considering the set up can be very cost effective or expensive.
Disadvantage all you movements are still manual controlled even if you have some power feeds (extra costs)

CNC

Gives accurate location, but backlash must be considered in movements
Can be cost effect and match some DRO costs, but general consider spending more.
Movements are power controlled (hence CNC) yet manually control can be over ridden with various methods so you still cN do manual functions.

Each has their place, this is what I considered in doing my upgrades. Putting comparisons on an equal footing in rough numbers.

DRO PRO's

Kit $800.00
Power feeds two axis $500.00
Misc Costs $150.00
Converted to CDN$1,900.00

ACORN CNC from CNC4PC
Kit $900.00
Clearpath SDSK (3 axis) $1,500.00
Misc Costs 900.00
Converted to CDN$4,300.00

In both cases shipping is not included.

For me the latter was the choice as the pay back is considerably faster and more easily justified.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
@SomeGuy Congratulations on your shiny new milling machine! And the fun begins, I know this group is ready and willing to help spend your hard earned $ on tooling!

Hope I'm not side tracking your thread too much with this but since you mentioned DROs I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Yuri's TouchDRO as an option?

The pluses I see include: it can be used with various types/sources of scales and you are not limited to a proprietary manufacturer's display hardware. The display hardware point is important if there is concern that the mechanical membrane snap switches of the proprietary hardware will have a limited life since they have moving parts. My dishwasher is a case in point of this (%^$& Sears). The Android tablet hardware with touch screen would be easily interchangeable.

Other concerns would be long term support by Yuri in case his priorities change at some point.

Does anyone have experience with this system and have any comments positive or negative?

Tecnico:cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@SomeGuy & @Degen

Everyone puts different values on things. Especially on their time. As a hobbiest, and an old man, time doesn't mean much to me anymore. Time spent doing things I love is a journey of enjoyment.

Years ago, someone asked me how I justified building a bigger garage than needed to fit our cars. I replied by asking him to first justify his boat. The discussion ended there.

I didn't get a DRO to save time or to do things I couldn't do without it. I got it because it's an amazing piece of technology, I like it, and because it makes measurements and what not easy. I have no regrets.

Another member visiting my shop told me he would go crazy cranking my mill table back and forth. I love cranking my mill table back and forth to make a piece of art.

Every member needs to consider their own wants and needs and decide their own priorities.

Edit - my 4 axis one micron w rpm was under $500 all in.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@SomeGuy Congratulations on your shiny new milling machine! And the fun begins, I know this group is ready and willing to help spend your hard earned $ on tooling!

Hope I'm not side tracking your thread too much with this but since you mentioned DROs I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Yuri's TouchDRO as an option?

The pluses I see include: it can be used with various types/sources of scales and you are not limited to a proprietary manufacturer's display hardware. The display hardware point is important if there is concern that the mechanical membrane snap switches of the proprietary hardware will have a limited life since they have moving parts. My dishwasher is a case in point of this (%^$& Sears). The Android tablet hardware with touch screen would be easily interchangeable.

Other concerns would be long term support by Yuri in case his priorities change at some point.

Does anyone have experience with this system and have any comments positive or negative?

Tecnico:cool:

Sorry, can't help. I do know that my magnetic scales are compatible with many different Readouts. It seems that the DB9 connectors are pretty standard.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
@Susquatch, you've helped already, thanks! I was wondering what you paid on Ali for your DRO setup, If I go that way I have a ballpark to aim for.

WRT the scales, TouchDRO seems to ba able to handle about any scales that conform to normal industry I/O standards.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the new mill. I look forward to seeing where you go from here with your milling adventure.

To others on this thread:
I saw SomeGuys garage and new mill when I borrowed his engine hoist (I was expecting to use it when bringing home my own CX601 from the Owen Sound area on Tuesday. That 601 was not as advertised and I left it there. So the engine hoist was returned unused.) His garage space is extremely well utilized and very well organized - this makes his home shop/garage area seem much larger than it is.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch, you've helped already, thanks! I was wondering what you paid on Ali for your DRO setup, If I go that way I have a ballpark to aim for.

WRT the scales, TouchDRO seems to ba able to handle about any scales that conform to normal industry I/O standards.
The TouchDRO developer Yuri is active on the Hobby Machinist forum with a dedicated thread. He's super helpful.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
The TouchDRO developer Yuri is active on the Hobby Machinist forum with a dedicated thread. He's super helpful.
Now that I think about it I did see that forum, good to see that he's active in the community. I think I recognized a few other names too. ;)

I'm hoping to hear from some users and their experiences vs. popular solutions like Ditron too, we'll see!

@SomeGuy & @Degen

Everyone puts different values on things. Especially on their time. As a hobbiest, and an old man, time doesn't mean much to me anymore. Time spent doing things I love is a journey of enjoyment.

Years ago, someone asked me how I justified building a bigger garage than needed to fit our cars. I replied by asking him to first justify his boat. The discussion ended there.

I didn't get a DRO to save time or to do things I couldn't do without it. I got it because it's an amazing piece of technology, I like it, and because it makes measurements and what not easy. I have no regrets.

Another member visiting my shop told me he would go crazy cranking my mill table back and forth. I love cranking my mill table back and forth to make a piece of art.

Every member needs to consider their own wants and needs and decide their own priorities.

Edit - my 4 axis one micron w rpm was under $500 all in.
I agree, I just used the example for
numbers to compare apples to apples and similar levels of equipment.

Hobbiest and professionals (while I might fall into a that category because I use it as such, I don't think I am).

All need to understand the need and application as well as the costs involved. A few hundred or several thousands (or more) it is still an expense that requires proper evaluation to determine what is best.

I would say DRO makes things easier and requires less effort to achieve results over manual dials as technology does the work for you.

CNC just does the work beyond the DRO.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

The 500 I mentioned included duty. The border guys opened the package and dinged me. They didn't close it back up right either so I'm lucky not to have lost anything major - just a few clips that I didn't need anyway. I "think" what I gave Ali was just under 400. I also think they were desperate for a sale. Prolly needed it to make their month end numbers........

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Thanks guys...I've got some reading/searching/haggling to do it would seem. I'd love specific links to some things on Ali, to at least know I'm in the right ballpark. That site is a mess!!

As for CNC vs DRO...the idea of CNC is fun, but might be a bit much to tackle right now. Should learn how to walk (manual milling) before I run (CNC).

Thanks guys...I've got some reading/searching/haggling to do it would seem. I'd love specific links to some things on Ali, to at least know I'm in the right ballpark. That site is a mess!!

As for CNC vs DRO...the idea of CNC is fun, but might be a bit much to tackle right now. Should learn how to walk (manual milling) before I run (CNC).
I dithered about CNC for years, like it or not learning the manual concepts will happen just a lot quicker if you go the CNC route, the second is you won't have to un learn some nasty manual habits.

My feeling on your post is that you'll do very well with it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I think this is what I started watching and then waited for a sale and then started chatting to add 1 micron, magnetic slim scales, 4th axis, and rpm.

C$ 454.64 5%OFF | Ditron SINO DRO D80 3 Axis /2 Axis LCD Digital Readout Display RPM and 50-1000mm 3pcs / 2pcs Optical Linear Glass Scale

Last edited: