• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New member from Newfoundland.

Carbob

Good day. Been looking at various websites dealing with home machine shops, and today was the first time I found a Canadian one.

I'm a marine engineer by trade, working as chief engineer on a crude oil tanker in the North Sea at the moment. Became hooked on Youtube videos regarding home machine shops, and was intrigued by the whole thing. As I watched more and more, I figured it would be a hobby I wouldn't mind getting into, although I was not sure where I would find the time (already an amateur radio operator, sport shooter and reloader, woodworker, and honey-do list do-er!). I have been making parts for various equipment onboard as required for years, so have a passing exposure to milling and lathe work, plus what we did in college. So I took the plunge anyway. Picked up a CX600 mini-mill from Busy Bee, and a King Canada ML1022 lathe, and I was off. Tooling comes in dribs and drabs as required, but it hard to find in my neck of the woods, so online shopping for most of it.

Ordered a couple of steam engine kits from Stuart, an S50 and a Victoria, so far. Have started the S50, but when I miss drilled the S50 casting, I put it aside to repair later. So far it has been almost 2 years, but I will get back to it, I promise!! lol

Anyway, thanks for having me, and I look forward to reading posts, and gleaning whatever knowledge I can from the other members.

Rob

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Greely Ontario, sounds like you found the right place, amazing amount of knowledge and information here for the hobby person.. The hobby teaches me a lot about patience and making mistakes is a part of it, when you get back to your kit and overcome that obstacle you'll be off the races enjoy your time here.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Yes by! a fellow Newfoundlander!
Welcome!

Miss-drilled casting you say, No worries. JB weld or maybe if you are keen- Braze it up. The final coloar coat will hide it all.
Enjoy your stay!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As I watched more and more, I figured it would be a hobby I wouldn't mind getting into, although I was not sure where I would find the time (already an amateur radio operator, sport shooter and reloader, woodworker, and honey-do list do-er!).

Welcome from Ontario Farmland.

I love Newfoundland, and for that matter all of the Maritimes.

No worries about multiple hobbies. Most of us seem to be the same way. Project 42k on my list is a new equatorial mount for my 8" telescope. 42w is a micro sprayer for my drone. 42c through 42f are all reloading related.

FWIW, Honey do lists are not a hobby except for newly weds. Unless your bride wants what you want, the stuff on that list is just an easy way to get beat up and yelled at.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome, while it sounds like you have a whole bunch of other hobbies and don't "need" another, all those other hobbies can benefit from making room for a metal working hobby! The circle is now complete, enjoy the ride.

Gordie

Welcome from Stittsville ON. It's rare to hear from an Amateur operator, I used to contribute to VE3 GOC. Learning Morse at 15 words per minute was a tall challenge for me.

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Good day. Been looking at various websites dealing with home machine shops, and today was the first time I found a Canadian one.

I'm a marine engineer by trade, working as chief engineer on a crude oil tanker in the North Sea at the moment. Became hooked on Youtube videos regarding home machine shops, and was intrigued by the whole thing. As I watched more and more, I figured it would be a hobby I wouldn't mind getting into, although I was not sure where I would find the time (already an amateur radio operator, sport shooter and reloader, woodworker, and honey-do list do-er!). I have been making parts for various equipment onboard as required for years, so have a passing exposure to milling and lathe work, plus what we did in college. So I took the plunge anyway. Picked up a CX600 mini-mill from Busy Bee, and a King Canada ML1022 lathe, and I was off. Tooling comes in dribs and drabs as required, but it hard to find in my neck of the woods, so online shopping for most of it.

Ordered a couple of steam engine kits from Stuart, an S50 and a Victoria, so far. Have started the S50, but when I miss drilled the S50 casting, I put it aside to repair later. So far it has been almost 2 years, but I will get back to it, I promise!! lol

Anyway, thanks for having me, and I look forward to reading posts, and gleaning whatever knowledge I can from the other members.

Rob
Hi Rob, hope the North Sea isn’t rocking the tanker too much !!

I apprenticed as a machinist in the 1980s working on knee style vertical mills, surface grinders while making cutter heads and carbide cartridges. When the recession hit and we were laid off.

I went back to school for Machine Design and spent co-op work-terms at Kellogg’s Engineering in London. Following the completion of Project 2000 at Kellogg’s . . .
I was recruited by a company North of London and designed some patented machinery for the production of HDPE corrugated pipe company (Big O Pipe).
Big O had extrusion plants across Canada and we handled Process Design, Machine Development, Technology transfers and software implementations in Exeter, Ontario.
After about 12 years of capital machinery projects I spent 4 years at SIHI Engineered Vacuum Systems In Guelph, Ontario Where we built Flare Gas Recovery skids for Oil Refineries.

Now, I work PT for an automotive and industrial machinery company in Cambridge and HQ is Woodstock where the company has a parts warehouse and a machine shop that turns and grinds rolls for virtually every flour mill in Canada (Whitelaw Group).

I have a golfing buddy who grew up on Belle Island, NFLD.
He moved to Cambridge, Ontario in 2000.