New Member from East Garafraxa, ON

David T

Hello everyone. Finally got my confirmation email. I am a soon-to-be-retired tradesperson now working as a chief estimator for a fantastic stainless piping fabricator/installer. I have been gifted a King KC-162CLM as a starter for my metal working section of my shop. I know that these combination machines are frowned upon. But, it was a gift, and I intend on making it as usable as I can by upgrading and tightening the tolerance on the unit. Installed a DRO, QCT, and working on finding why the gear oil keeps leaking out over time. Not to mention the sloppy carriage and what I think is a bent lead screw. (yes I got it brand new) the joys of offshore manufacturing. If anyone else has one or a similar setup, I would love some input and conversation. Looking forward to great machining content and info.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Ontario Farm Country South of Chatham. I know quite a few people who have combination machines and like them. You are already off to a good start if you know some of its weaknesses.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Welcome from the Cowichan valley on Vancouver Island. I had a Busy Bee combination machine for a number of years and got to know it inside out and backwards during that time. I probably had every part of that machine apart during that time and did a number of improvements/ upgrades during that time. If your machine Is anywhere near the same I could pass on a few ideas. I found a picture of a KC-1620CLM on a King Canada site and it looks identical only it is painted a different colour.

Last edited:

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Campbell River.

The best mill/lathe is the one you have, not the one you don't.

And should you desire to upgrade at a later date, there always seems to be a market for this kind of thing.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome aboard.
Lots of experiences in this group.
I had experience lots of SS experience from Kellogg’s, LorDon and Axiom.
In the 1980’s I was a tool maker for Ex-Cell-O.

Your location caught my eye because my wife frequented the Garafraxa diner.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was told ‘any lathe is better than no lathe’
I have a mill but no lathe.
You have both. Great.
Welcome to the Forum from Burlington.

David T

Welcome from the Cowichan valley on Vancouver Island. I had a Busy Bee combination machine for a number of years and got to know it inside out and backwards during that time. I probably had every part of that machine apart during that time and did a number of improvements/ upgrades during that time. If your machine Is anywhere near the same I could pass on a few ideas. I found a picture of a KC-1620CLM on a King Canada site and it looks identical only it is painted a different colour.
Thanks, Larry_C9 and all the members who replied. I would think that the King version would be the same as many offshore manufacturers. I would welcome any info on improving my setup. My most common observation of the machine can be described as "sloppy" Handwheels that are off-center, and gibbs that are rough and poorly set up. Even some of the handles are stripped and need replacing. I have a laundry list and will tackle each in turn. Should be fun as I learn more about the unit and increase my machining knowledge.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks, Larry_C9 and all the members who replied. I would think that the King version would be the same as many offshore manufacturers. I would welcome any info on improving my setup. My most common observation of the machine can be described as "sloppy" Handwheels that are off-center, and gibbs that are rough and poorly set up. Even some of the handles are stripped and need replacing. I have a laundry list and will tackle each in turn. Should be fun as I learn more about the unit and increase my machining knowledge.

Should be fun David. I have a little problem visualizing the initial problems you describe, but that's probably just the different ways we use the words. Keep us in the loop as you tackle each problem and I'm sure we can figure it all out. You certainly have the right attitude.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Hi David. I didn't have too much trouble with the handwheels other than the handles would come unscrewed once in a while which would make them sloopy. I did have some trouble with the cross slide gibb. As you probably know they are tapered. The screws that adjust them don't always make good contact which makes them hard to properly adjust. The cross slide leadscrew thrust bearing, which is just behind the handwheel can be a little difficult to adjust to eliminate any end play and still not have it a bit stiff to rotate. The most trouble I had was with the cross slide leadscrew nut. I wore a couple out and Busy bee sent me more. I finally got it much better by machining my own nuts with a much better fit on the thread and quite a bit longer than the original. I also split the nuts so I could squeeze them down with the retaining screws when they started to wear.