• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New member Edmonton

Everett

Super User
Hi Ggordon, good to get to know another "local," for sure (I'm about 1/2 hour west of you). That is cool if you're willing to offer XRF checking on samples, I have a few pieces I've been curious about as I can get lots of them for free (brake/suspension/chassis parts from heavy trucks). Was actually going to look into NDT shops in Edmonton at some point to analyze them as it would be good to know what sorts of additives they have apart from carbon.

I know they have at lease .40% because of how they harden but it would be cool to see if there's any chrome or nickel in them as well. Once life here in Alberta loosens up a bit I'd gladly pay or donate to the "home shop tool fund" if you'd be willing to check over 4 or 5 sample pieces!

Hacker

Super User
Ggordon and Everett that would be interesting info to put on the page as I have access to some of those old parts and would be interested in knowing if they can be repurposed.
PS Enjoy your YouTube channel.

Ggordon

Not a problem Everett. If you can cut a sample the size of your thumb nail off you could just mail it to me. If you need a bunch of stuff done then just save them up and we will hit them all at the same time.
All I ask is that you keep an eye open for a small non Chinesium milling machine for me. Would love something like a small clausing or the like.

Everett

Super User
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, yes my channel name is Everett's Workshop. I certainly don't claim to be anything but a hobbyist, so if there is constructive criticism then I'm always up for learning better ways.

MW/MC

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, yes my channel name is Everett's Workshop. I certainly don't claim to be anything but a hobbyist, so if there is constructive criticism then I'm always up for learning better ways.
Ya it’s a great channel keep up the good work !! I really enjoy disappearing into a YouTube machining abiss!!!
Nice new mill !!!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Just lost 1.5 hours watching Everett videos....... Awesome job, the shaper videos sucked me in.

Everett

Super User
I got it running to the functionality it had in its earlier life but as time goes on (and time allows) I can see where a number of improvements could be made to the machine. I think a better lubrication system, some limit switches for when running the auto table feed, some form of manual crank for use in setup, etc. would be good additions. I just happened to have been older when starting my family so my time has lately been needed by little people in the house, lol!

And thank you MW/MC and Kevin, I'm glad you enjoy the videos. I just try to share what I can when I can. Will be moving soon and the new garage is unfinished so to keep content going I might be doing a "shop build" series to keep the YT algorithm happy with me. Kind of like what Steve Summers, Tom Knopp, and Max Grant are doing, only smaller yuppie suburbanite scale, lol.

MW/MC

I got it running to the functionality it had in its earlier life but as time goes on (and time allows) I can see where a number of improvements could be made to the machine. I think a better lubrication system, some limit switches for when running the auto table feed, some form of manual crank for use in setup, etc. would be good additions. I just happened to have been older when starting my family so my time has lately been needed by little people in the house, lol!

And thank you MW/MC and Kevin, I'm glad you enjoy the videos. I just try to share what I can when I can. Will be moving soon and the new garage is unfinished so to keep content going I might be doing a "shop build" series to keep the YT algorithm happy with me. Kind of like what Steve Summers, Tom Knopp, and Max Grant are doing, only smaller yuppie suburbanite scale, lol.
Nice are you going to move far or still around current location?
It will be a big move either way ! Ya I enjoy your videos as well as abom , Keith fenner , Keith Rucker how he restores old machine tools !!
It sure is busy with the young ones got two my self so I know !!
have a great week either way