• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New member Edmonton

Ggordon

Hello all, my name is Gordon. I’m located in Edmonton. In the long process of building a shop here in my garage. bought a Myford ML7 lathe (I need a gear set if anyone has some on their shelf not doing nothing) and I’m looking for a small precision milling machine. Also setting up for vacuum casting.
Would like to meet new people that have similar interests.
I’m an NDT tech so have access to test parts for flaws, just drop them by my place and I can do UT,VT,MT and eddy current. Can also do PMI if you need to know what material you have.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome aboard.

One doesn't see as many Myfords being discussed, I guess maybe just getting rarer. But they certainly have history in the model engineering heyday. Cant help you on parts but if you haven't already seen Jan's channel, he has a soft spot for them & done some impressive restoration & scraping work,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD1jVjhwma9Ehj8BQqDMPHw/videos

Look forward to your vacuum casting pics when you're ready to show.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
If I had room, and the money at hand, and a myford in good shape showed up local I’d probably buy one

Lots of fantastic work has been done on those especially in the UK for motorcycle etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ggordon

If I had room, and the money at hand, and a myford in good shape showed up local I’d probably buy one

Lots of fantastic work has been done on those especially in the UK for motorcycle etc

I waited a long time for one to pop up. Woke up one Saturday morning and looked at Kijiji and there it was, the ad was only 3 mins old. In the Jeep and was there within 30 mins. Keep an eye out, they do come around.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hello all, my name is Gordon. I’m located in Edmonton. In the long process of building a shop here in my garage. bought a Myford ML7 lathe (I need a gear set if anyone has some on their shelf not doing nothing) and I’m looking for a small precision milling machine. Also setting up for vacuum casting.
Would like to meet new people that have similar interests.
I’m an NDT tech so have access to test parts for flaws, just drop them by my place and I can do UT,VT,MT and eddy current. Can also do PMI if you need to know what material you have.

Welcome.
What is PMI ?
I have various stock that I suspect is 41xx or something along tjose lines but im unable to confirm.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Yup I am in Edmonton indeed, No rush, I wrote your name down and when life eases up ill take you up on the offer.
Thanks!
Take care

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If I send you a small piece of “mystery metal”, could you run it through your XRF scanner and tell me the composition of the metal so as to help me identify it? How big of a piece would you require?

Ggordon

If I send you a small piece of “mystery metal”, could you run it through your XRF scanner and tell me the composition of the metal so as to help me identify it? How big of a piece would you require?
No worries. A piece the size of your thumb is all I need. You can cut it pretty thin and stuff it in an envelope. PM me for address.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
[mention]Ggordon [/mention] , you should have waited to let us know your super power.

I have 125 pieces of mystery metal I need analyzed to..... [emoji3][emoji106]

Welcome to the forum

Ggordon

I just thought about something. I can tell you what it’s alloyed with but it’s hard to tell you the carbon content. I can do a hardness test too and we might be able to extrapolate the carbon content.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
Welcome to the forum Ggordon another skill set is always welcome lol as you've seen.