• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

New Lathe Manual

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I'm looking for the manual for my new lathe. A basic Google search didn't get me anything.

It's a King CH-1236. Belt drive on the speed change, QC on the threading. Exact opposite of what I used to have/still have.

Any help would be appreciated!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
it’s supposed to be the same as Grizzly G9249, maybe compare this to your machine?

@Tomc938 - If the Grizzly G9249 is similar enough, it will be a much better manual than the King manual anyway. Grizzly has a service group that does a fantastic job of writing manuals in real English, and also has much better parts inventory too. They are also FAST!

If it turns out that the Grizzly is too different, I'd spend some time poking around to see if you can find a closer match.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @Tomc938 - here is a link to their discontinued products. I didn't see your model there but they may have listed it under a slightly different name than you gave us.

Also, how similar is this one? There is a link to the manual at the bottom of the page.

Lastly, try contacting Grant Pretorius at King Canada.
TEL : 514-636-5464 EXT 310
1-877-636-4214
FAX : 514-556-3057

Service310@kingcanada.com

* For inquiries use the E-mail above *

@LenVW spoke very highly of Grant just recently.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I'm looking for the manual for my new lathe. A basic Google search didn't get me anything.

It's a King CH-1236. Belt drive on the speed change, QC on the threading. Exact opposite of what I used to have/still have.

Any help would be appreciated!
The manual I had for my ch-1236 was very basic and nothing overly helpful. As long as the labels on the machine are all still readable, you're not missing much by not having the manual.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Can you please post a picture of your QCGB, and perhaps even your belt system? It may well be the same lathe ans @David_R8 and I have, or close enough that the manual will do until something better comes along...

Even if it isn't close enough, it might be close to someone else's lathe.

A lot of these lathes were rebranded many ways, but are essentially the same or identical with a new name.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I found a pic of an ENCO that looks the same.

202956-5c3af411d9fa6840ba4f9e84bc3924fd.jpg

This is from the Hobby-Machinist site,

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Here's one of the manuals that I have for my Busy Bee lathe (but isn't a BB manual)

Attachments

• DF-1237G.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 2

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey @Tomc938 - here is a link to their discontinued products. I didn't see your model there but they may have listed it under a slightly different name than you gave us.

Also, how similar is this one? There is a link to the manual at the bottom of the page.

Lastly, try contacting Grant Pretorius at King Canada.
TEL : 514-636-5464 EXT 310
1-877-636-4214
FAX : 514-556-3057

Service310@kingcanada.com

* For inquiries use the E-mail above *

@LenVW spoke very highly of Grant just recently.
I did find the discontinued page. But they were all geared if I remember correctly. Mine's belt for speed.

Mike found a Enco (be careful how you type Enco, autocorrect changed it to "Wench" and all of a sudden Mike is in big trouble) lathe that looks like it is identical. I found a couple of Encos in my search, but none that matched.

I'll take a close look at that and give King a call. I'm still in shock that they answer their phones. Most other places in NA they have a phone system that runs you in circles until you give up.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I found a pic of an ENCO that looks the same.

202956-5c3af411d9fa6840ba4f9e84bc3924fd.jpg

This is from the Hobby-Machinist site,

WE HAVE A WINNER! Thanks Mike! The only thing that seems different is the blue mine is painted matches the colour of my wife's eyes. Now I guess I gotta keep her. (The lathe, I mean. I already know my wife's a keeper)

Thanks everyone for the assistance. This is an awesome board. And thanks to those who work behind the scenes to kept up and running! We probably don't say it often enough, but you guys rock.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm still in shock that they answer their phones. Most other places in NA they have a phone system that runs you in circles until you give up.

That phone number I posted is direct to their reps desk per @LenVW . So you still might get his answering service. But he is a real person. I have no doubt that he actually will call you back.

Although you have a manual now, it would still be nice to have the original King manual.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That phone number I posted is direct to their reps desk per @LenVW . So you still might get his answering service. But he is a real person. I have no doubt that he actually will call you back.

Although you have a manual now, it would still be nice to have the original King manual.
I agree on wanting the original manual. While the Enco might be the same in many ways, the one way it may be different might be important.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Tomc938 this is the manual for the Grizzly version of the lathe that @Dabbler and I have.

Though this Grizzly 12x37 belt lathe looks identical to yours.

Attachments

• g1003_m.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Grizzly 12x37 Belt Lathe Manual g9249_m.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 8

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Tomc938 this is the manual for the Grizzly version of the lathe that @Dabbler and I have.

Though this Grizzly 12x37 belt lathe looks identical to yours.
Thanks David!

Between the Enco and this one I think we have it nailed.

Do you find the extra inch between the 1236 to 1237 makes a big difference? ;o)