• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New King 7X12 Lathe

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
After spending a nervous day wondering if the deal would go through, I was fortunate enough to get this new King mini lathe, still in the box after his pups got ahold of it doesn't appear to be any damage and everything looks like its there.. At $360 and fits easy in the trunk was an easy decision, nothing special but something fun to play with as it has a few features my b2227l doesn't have.
1655722247195.jpeg

1655722311304.jpeg

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
That's a great deal on a RealBull lathe, especially since it includes a faceplate and steady rest and a 4" chuck from the looks of it. Get an OXA QCTP and you will be ready to start fixing it up! :)
If you can tolerate Facebook (I can, barely, now..) the 7x lathe group is an excellent resource. Ted Hansen's book is the go-to on 'fixin' up those machines.
But you know all that from owning a B2227l, I imagine.
Does your B2227l have leadscrew reverse - can you turn LH threads or power traverse the carriage away from the chuck with the spindle turning forward?

Last edited:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No my 2227l is not able to traverse the carriage away when the spindle turning forward thus more difficult for lh threads so I want to experiment a bit with that on the little one, I may have to join that group I detest fb as well but not sure how far I will go with it, I had been trying to focus on getting things cleaned up in the shop and organized better and have been making progress but its been said many times when that deal comes up you have to be ready to jump in the car as soon as its possible and secure it and this time I was rewarded for that commitment, so another distraction but I have always wanted to and knew I would own one some day.
And yea a bit of a "start the car" moment when I was leaving, but just for fun I did ask if that was his best price;).

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I belong to that group also. Not as active-some days no posts, then a bunch of 5 or 6 then a couple more days of inactivity. And not many beginners - more like a bunch of guys who have known each other for years, and who aren't very interested in answering the 'same old questions' again and again. I put a bunch of posts there when I first got my lathe(s), but don't bother any more. I found the FB group more welcoming. But, as always, YMMV, etc....definitely worth a look. I find hobby-machinist.com more useful, though most folks there (like here) have much bigger and more $$ equipment than a 7x lathe.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I find hobby-machinist.com more useful, though most folks there (like here) have much bigger and more $$ equipment than a 7x lathe.

The big difference here is that nobody looks down their nose at the members with smaller lathes. Everyone has a place here, all are welcome, and all get help.