• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New guy in Calgary

Krprice84

I added a quick change to mine. Really nice upgrade. Required really. There's some photos on here about it. Yes feed and thread rods are separate but attached to gears so the ratio installed governs the feed speed. It has powered cross slide which is nice too.

I'm actually quite pleased with it. I've done some good stuff and it's a great unit to learn on. Any issues are really pretty minor.
You added a quick change gear box or tool post?? Tool post seems easy and well worth it, gear box sounds hard

Krprice84

Oh if you get the cz858 hot it can really jam bad. We has 2 guys loading mags and one guy just shooting continuously for about 300 or 400 rounds. It jammed so bad that even hammering on the bolt wouldn't open it until we took the whole action apart.

Lol that's probably because you expanded the metal lol

Though I guess I wonder, they are made for battle use in full auto. Well, I guess actually militaries generally have a "duty cycle" for various firing modes and situations.

I know I've loaded up all eight of my mags and blasted through all 80 rounds as fast as possible with no hiccup, but that's not nearly the 3 or 4 hundred you guys did.

Now I have something to try out lol. Need more mags!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I added a quick change to mine. Really nice upgrade. Required really. There's some photos on here about it. Yes feed and thread rods are separate but attached to gears so the ratio installed governs the feed speed. It has powered cross slide which is nice too.

Tool post-just the tool post. A gear box sounds great though!

Krprice84

Tool post-just the tool post. A gear box sounds great though!

I saw a video of a home built lathe a guy made. I think he used a head stock for another lathe, and used a motorbike transmission for the gear changes.

Obviously wouldn't work for a gear box but I bet a gearbox for another lathe could be added with enough work

Lots of work lol

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This link kind of elaborates on how some folks define a 'gun' lathe.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90815
Explains why I couldn't see much difference from a standard lathe from headstock forward.

But looks like there are lots of homebrew adaptations to rig up a spider to existing conventional lathe. Google 'make spider for metal lathe' / images turns up a lot of neat ideas. I can see some usefulness there outside of barrel holding.

Tom O

Ultra Member
It's not that hard getting machinery into the basement my son and I moved our Clausing lathe , Craftex mill , and Atlas shaper downstairs by ourselves I just used a box made out of 2x6 along with a 2x6 frame that fits in the door jamb between the kitchen and the enterance door 1/2 sheet of ply and hand winch. It worked great just had to use the engine hoist from the bottom landing. I'll post some pictures.

Hey Kevin! You know who this is?

I was looking around to see what people had to say about the King Canada 1022 (grizzly G0602). I picked one up to replace my SIEG.

So far I'm NOT very impressed. I've read a few reviews and watched some videos... It seems to me people don't want to admit when they have made a mistake in purchasing something ... I'll be honest. My new lathe has a few nice features but I will have to make a BUNCH of changes / mods to this KC to make it as good as the C6

Anyway. So far, I would advise against the king Canada KC1022ML. I will try to do a little write up but I've been quite busy lately.

Krprice84

Hey man! Thanks for letting me know man.... I'm pretty leery about a lot of stuff out there right now

Work seems to be slowing down for me, so I'm not buying one soon anyways. When things pick up I might just bite the bullet and get something that will do what I want, maybe one of the craftex lathes, maybe a grizzly, or maybe find something else from the states or out east. Not sure yet really