• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New guy from the Cowicahan Valley on Vancouver Island

Larry_C9

Premium Member
Good morning my name is Larry and thanks to a few folk on here I sold my combination machine and made some new acquaintances. I have spent a lifetime working on heavy equipment. Then later on I built my own steel yacht and sailed the Pacific for about 5 years. When I came back to Canada I kind of fell into the marine repair business for a number of years. During that time I bought the Lathe , MIll combo machine thinking I could use it to clean up water pump shafts etc. and possibly mill the odd keyway. Well that got a bit carried away and I started making model engines and other interesting things. About the time I retired from the marine work I started to grow out of that machine and bought a new CX601 mill and installed a DRO and an X axis power feed. Then about a year ago I bought a new CX701 lathe and installed another DRO on that. I had my share of troubles with all three of these machines but have them all humming along pretty well now. When the guys came to pick up my combination machine they told me about this forum so I have been spending a little time finding my way round this web site. I ran into trouble getting registered because the sight wasn't sending out the registration email. got that sorted this morning so here I am.

Welcome from Lillooet BC..... Glad you found us. Lots of great info and friendship here, and we all love pictures and the occasional laugh...

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from the mighty metropolis of Sooke, you've had quite the adventures.
I was the hired help moving the combo machine the other day and all went well coming home.
You'll need to show pictures of the steam engines you built, I'm totally enamored with the beam engine, that is a beauty.
There are a number of steam builders around here so you are in good company.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I'm glad the tech woes are sorted out! Happy to see you here. The combo machine is set up in my shop and though I'm itching to make chips with it it's waiting for my buddy Mark to get back to have that privilege. We'll see how long it lives in my space before he takes it home :)
Your engine models are lovely - I haven't had the itch to deal with air/steam lines yet, but the power trains are just fascinating to me.

Larry_C9

Premium Member
Welcome from the mighty metropolis of Sooke, you've had quite the adventures.
I was the hired help moving the combo machine the other day and all went well coming home.
You'll need to show pictures of the steam engines you built, I'm totally enamored with the beam engine, that is a beauty.
There are a number of steam builders around here so you are in good company.
Good morning Mike, the Steam engine is from the plans in a book by William M Harris and the walking beam engine was in the HMS magazine a couple of years ago. I would have do some digging to find it. Is there any special procedure to post pictures here. On some forums it is not very easy?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Victoria!
I just sold my lathe and mill and your CX machines are high on my list of replacements.
I'll likely ask you some questions :)

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Morning, posting pictures can be done using "attach files" or there is a picture icon to the left of the smiley face. I use 800x600ish for resolution but I'm not sure what the max resolution is, a mod would need to chime in with that one.
I'll have a look online at HMS for the beam engine, might even order a back copy to get all the details.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I ran into trouble getting registered because the sight wasn't sending out the registration email. got that sorted this morning so here I am.

We have been having problems with that. Hopefully we can get it fixed. I think we are losing too many potential new members because of it.

Thank you for being persistent.

More importantly, WELCOME to our gang of mostly scruffy hobby machinists! I say mostly because there are a few good looking ones. But then there are also a few who are so ugly that God had pity on us and covered us up with fur.......

I'm a big hairy ugly farmer on the north shore of Lake Erie south of Chatham......

Downwindtracker2

Welcome from Abbotsford. This forum is one of the nicest on the web , but most machinist forums are pretty civil if not down right nice. The only exception I found was the Practical Machinist, I found they have lots of attutude. Your Cowicahan Valley is lovely. We camped there the year of the heat dome and the wild fires made camping too dangerous in the interior Rec Sites .